Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Second Amp in X2 help

I'm planning on installing a second amp in my 06 X2 to run my 2 stock tower speakers. I'd like to run 2 distribution blocks (for + and - cables). A few questions:
- Can I run 4 gauge to the distribution blocks and then 8 to the amps?
- I know that the stock amp is currently wired to what I'm guessing is a circuit breaker and then to the battery. When I install the new wiring do i run it to that breaker or get rid of it?
- Anyone know the gauge on the stock wiring to the stock amp?
- Any other advice?

I currently don't have access to the boat but I would like to get everything ready so I don't need to wait once I do have access.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Ocean Kayak
You can run 4 gauge B+ and 4 gauge B- to distribution blocks and then run 8 gauge out. It just depends on the power that the amp will need as to whether or not the 8 gauge is of sufficient size. Keep the breaker inline between the battery and distro block.

Take your time, do it right. Use high strand super fine plated copper for best results and best corrosion protection.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
OE wire in my X2 was 6ga I believe. Check that wire. Mine had about a 20' long coil of the power wire stuffed up in the gunnels. I wouldn't have bought more wire to run to the new amps if I'd known that before hand.
You want to install dist blocks and run 4 ga min from the battery to them. I'd go 2 ga even for the short run.
From the dist blocks run 4-6ga, separately fused to each amp.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thrall I saw you pictures that you took next to the battery with the 2 distribution blocks and what seems to be the stock circuit breaker. I'm guessing the you do NOT connect the amps to that breaker right and instead you hook them up to their own fuse?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Correct. That circuit breaker with the 2ga wire is for all the helm functions. Separate wires and fuses for the amps

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm2083 View Post
I'm planning on installing a second amp in my 06 X2 to run my 2 stock tower speakers. I'd like to run 2 distribution blocks (for + and - cables). A few questions:
- Can I run 4 gauge to the distribution blocks and then 8 to the amps?
- I know that the stock amp is currently wired to what I'm guessing is a circuit breaker and then to the battery. When I install the new wiring do i run it to that breaker or get rid of it?
- Anyone know the gauge on the stock wiring to the stock amp?
- Any other advice?

I currently don't have access to the boat but I would like to get everything ready so I don't need to wait once I do have access.

Thanks
Size the cable for worst-case scenario by adding the ratings of the fuses on the amplifiers.

Here's a chart for gauge and length-
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Here's another for Ohm's Law- learn how to use this- it will save a lot of aggravation and avoid problems with designing/setting up a system-
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

One positive cable, one negative cable with the distribution block at the end where the amps are located. If the chart calls for 6 ga instead of 8 ga, use it inadequate cable size causes the equipment to run hot and that makes it fail. Install a circuit breaker or fuse within 12" of the battery, sized for worst case. You should never need the breaker or fuse to pop during normal operation and it's not there to protect the equipment because all of that has its own fuse(s). This is installed to protect you, your passengers, the boat and anything nearby in the event that the power cable is somehow connected to ground, through some odd occurrence.

Last edited by JimN; 04-28-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys. BTW I found this site with a diagram that makes it very easy to figure out the wiring and fuse size. Should come in handy to anyone else with my question.

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm