Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Battery terminals

So just got my 2007 Xstar, and the batteries are connected to the battery switch using their accessory post (the threaded one you can screw down with a wingnut) an not the larger one. I'm curious as to why they did this... But would I get any benefit by changing them to connect to the larger post?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Because it was cheap to do. If you're planing on doing this right there should only be one connector going to the battery. Terminal blocks are supposed to be used to connect all accessories to a single bus. A single (larger) cable should be then used to connect the terminal block to the battery. This should be done for both the positive and the negative posts. Can you do it the wrong way and have it work..... sure. But this is also why people end up with noise, intermittent electrical problems and ground loops.

The wiring on my 07 X2 was a mess and disgrace when I got it. Hard to believe that it was actually delivered that way. I really would like to meet the person that "designed" the electrical and see what the thought process was. According to ABYC the maximum allowable connections to any single stud is three connections. I believe I had five wires going to my battery.

I recently looked at a new boat and noticed wiring had greatly improved over my 07. Nice to see they got their stuff together.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
I'll get a pic tonight at the boat, but there is only one connection to the battery, it's just at the smaller pair of threaded terminals and not the larger ones.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
That's how mine are connected, 1/2" nut (I think) with ring terminals from the batteries to the switch.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Mine have been that way since new - no problems - why change it?

2013 X-25