Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Ordering a Makita 6040. Which pads do I need to order? Which compounds and polishes?

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
Use what Brian and cloaked used...some info on DS (likely same as this thread) in boats and skiing under polish and rub-----cloaked did his black boat with the suggested system and it's perfect!!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
For aggressive cutting I would suggest 3M 06044!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
I did some testing using BrianM’s pad (wool and foam) and compound/polish recommendations and intend to use his approach on my entire boat based on the tests. Thanks, Brian.

The argument is made here you can accomplish a lot without wetsanding. I think that’s true, but if wetsanding is needed and there are wetsanding scratches to remove, know that Autogeek’s training director – Mike Phillips -- made a big pitch to me on their forum that a pure rotary is best for removing such scratches and that it would be best to sand out to a much higher level than 1000 grit (at least if not using a pure rotary). This was when I posted a question on their forum about trying to remove 1000 grit wetsanding scratches in gelcoat with a Flex 3401 polisher, which has a motion similar to the Makita B06040 BrianM uses when the Makita is in its orbital plus forced rotation mode.

Phillips wetsanded the sides of his oxidized 1967 ski boat. His response to me appears to indicate his decision to wetsand was driven more by the existence of staining than by oxidation. I don’t think he wetsanded the remainder of the boat, which was also oxidized as you can see from his photos.

Flex 3401 for removal of sanding scratches from gelcoat

Phillips is also their front guy on their sister Premium Boat Care website. I would be curious if anyone here with experience wetsanding, compounding, and polishing gelcoat has any reaction to what he posted in response to my questions.

In looking around the internet, I found that a pure rotary tool and wool pads come up over and over in connection with doing gelcoat when professionals are doing it. This appears to be because gelcoat is generally harder than auto paint and because many boats have more surface area than a car.

P.S. Phillips is missing a leg. He has addressed that on Autogeek’s forum. Turns out he lost it to the prop on his 1970 Sanger drag boat when in his 20s. Be careful with your boat.

Last edited by lake weir skier; 03-11-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Hammer - Here is a write up that I did last Fall. Pretty close to Brian's method. I list out all the part numbers that I used. The only thing that I would do differently is to add the glaze step before waxing. I mention that toward the end of the thread.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Hammer - Here is a write up that I did last Fall. Pretty close to Brian's method. I list out all the part numbers that I used. The only thing that I would do differently is to add the glaze step before waxing. I mention that toward the end of the thread.
You are referring to this thread?

scratch removal and buffing process that worked for me
Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Used Blackhawks methods also!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Lake weir skier - Yes, I copied the link, but evidently forgot to paste it. Thanks for posting the link.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Gents - This is all great info! I have a two year old boat that the original owner apparently never waxed at all while it sat on a lift. I just removed his original registration numbers otday and there is a definite color change n the gel coat under the old letters. What you recommend in this scenario? A similar procedure? I had some Meguiar's Heavy Oxidation remover and a cotton rag to hit it with quickly today, but that didn't come close. Pretty surprising to see a 2012 color change this much.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
P.S. Which one of these 3M Super Duty compounds did you use? Are they all the same? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...uty%20compound

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -