Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Maristar 225 VRS
V-Drive Fluid

Hello! I have a '97 Maristar 225 VRS that is low on v-drive fluid. We called the mastercraft dealer in this area (Rambo Marine) and asked what we needed to add to it. Their response was either transmission fluid or 15/40 oil (I think). Basically said to take both to the boat and if the old fluid is red then use trans. fluid, if not use the oil. Does anyone know exactly what to use before we go or could it be either one depending on the boat? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Could be either one, based on the year would bet it is trans fluid, but new MC's with ZF Hurth trans were switched to 15W 40 motor oil. Just depends on what the past owner used. Now with Ilmor they are back to trans fluid.

It will be hard to tell if you have the orange plastic dip stick, suggest you wipe on your finger or white paper to be sure which it is. Trans fluid, deep red, motor oil, light brown. Make sure you check the level without screwing down the dip stick, full is top mark with stick just sitting on the threads, Do Not Over Fill.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8/100 w/ Zero Flex Mini 2011 Black GMC Yukon XL 2011 Silver Chevy Silverado Z71 Canyon Lake, Lake Austin and Lak
Indmar Products
5400 Old Millington Rd. Millington, TN Phone 800-238-7112 Fax 800-622-7278
SERVICE ADVISORY Date: 11/21/01 Advisory #SV2001-2 SUBJECT: Gear Rattle – Hurth Reduction Gear Transmissions
We have received a number of complaints regarding rattling or noisy ZF/Hurth reduction gears (V-drive or in-line). The noise is most pronounced at idle RPM and typically goes away when the engine RPM is raised above idle. Although the noise can be irritating, this is a normal condition with these transmissions that in no way affects the durability or reliability of the unit.
In an effort to reduce the gear rattle noise at low RPM; the transmission manufacturer has suggested that we change from the current Dexron 3 transmission fluid that we use in the transmission to 15W40 motor oil. This is the same oil that we recommend for use in the engine and its higher viscosity helps “dampen” the contact of the gears and reduces the noise significantly.
Indmar has started using 15W40 Pennzoil Marine Motor Oil in all reduction gears starting with engine IC985313. Those units will be identified with a Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil sticker on the transmission in place of the ATF sticker that was previously attached.
We suggest that if you have a customer complaint of a noisy or rattling reduction gear that you replace the transmission fluid with 15W40 motor oil at the next scheduled service. Our current recommended maintenance schedule calls for changing the transmission oil at the first service (10-20 hours) and then annually or every 300 hours, whichever comes first.
Since the transmission has no drain plug, it is necessary to suck the fluid out of the transmission through the opening in the bottom of the filter cavity. Use a suitable oil removal pump with a pick- up long enough to get to the bottom of the transmission housing. You might also want to remove the coolant lines and let the cooler and hoses drain into a suitable container to make sure as much of the fluid as possible is removed from the transmission. It is not necessary to flush the transmission, just get as much of the old fluid out as possible.
Reconnect the cooling lines and fill the transmission with 15W40 motor oil. The level of the oil should be between the “max” and “min” marks on the dipstick. The following chart gives you the approximate capacities of the various reduction gears.
Model Capacity
450A 2.12 qt (2L) 630A 4.2 qt (4L) 630V 4.2 qt (4L)
SV2001-2
11/21/01
2005 Mastercraft Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8 of 100
Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by scog72 View Post
Hello! I have a '97 Maristar 225 VRS that is low on v-drive fluid. We called the mastercraft dealer in this area (Rambo Marine) and asked what we needed to add to it. Their response was either transmission fluid or 15/40 oil (I think). Basically said to take both to the boat and if the old fluid is red then use trans. fluid, if not use the oil. Does anyone know exactly what to use before we go or could it be either one depending on the boat? Thanks for the help!
Are you asking about the transmission fluid or the actual V-drive gear box? My 95 Maristar uses transmission fluid in the transmission, but the V-drive gear box uses oil such as 15/40.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 1995 200VRS
Walter V drive uses SAE 30 weight oil (per the Walter service manual)
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
My 95 takes transmission fluid.

Also, how are you determining that you are low on v drive oil?

If it's because of the light on the dash that says low v drive oil below 1200 rpm's is coming on, remember if you are below 1200 rpms it should come on. If the light is lit AND your engine is above 1200 rpms and in gear then you are low. If the light goes out then you are fine.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
tried to remove the oil from the V-drive this past weekend and doesn't look like I can get the pump hose deep enough to pump out the oil
any advise would be appreciated
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
tried to remove the oil from the V-drive this past weekend and doesn't look like I can get the pump hose deep enough to pump out the oil
any advise would be appreciated
Yours should have a hurth tansmission/vdrive combo. Are you going through the transmission dipstick tube? I've changed mine several times and haven't had any trouble. Maybe get a smaller tube.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 95 Maristar 225
I'm pretty sure the v drive has a drain plug. Transmission does not.