Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
ballast leaking?

I am the new owner of '05 XStar. After 20 minutes of my boat being in water the bilge ran for about a minute. Over the next hour of boating, twice the center bilge (where T plug is located) kicked on and pumped out water for a minute or less.

It seems the boat is either taking on a small amount of water or the stock ballast tank may be leaking. When I test drove the boat last week the starboard ballast was full within a couple minutes of filling based upon dashboard gauge and water bilging out. I am certain the starboard ballast was not emptied for winterization because the boat had not been out since last summer. I suspect the stock starboard tank is cracked from freezing, but I don't have any evidence of this.

To identify the problem, I have a couple ideas.....
Try lowering my boat on lift in increments and see if the bilge kicks on. If bilge kicks on without filling ballast I would think this indicates water is leaking in from somewhere in the hull.
If the boat doesn't take on water initially, I guess I'll start with the starboard ballast and fill it and see if the bilge kicks on after filling tank.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
You probably have a large petcock where you can completely eliminate the ballast as an issue.

Launch it but don't start the engine. Check your packing nut or dripless seal where the prop shaft exits. Check your rudder shaft. Check your raw water intake hose. Check around your plugs themselves.

If it doesn't leak with the valve closed then open it up and proceed as you mentioned above.

If you still see no water in the hull then start the engine and let it idle while looking at all of your hoses, raw water pump, and water circulating pump.

If you still haven't found a leak start driving around and making turns. Then look for water that may have run down through the rub rail in the rear compartments.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Jeff!

I noticed the starboard rear storage compartment was soaked on the stern wall. Seemed odd at the time, but didn't think anything about it until your post. Might be the culprit....
Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 AM
MC Devotee

Do you have a damaged section of rub rail in that area? If it gets hit hard enough or gets pushed up/down hard it can pop the screws and then water leaks in there whenever it goes underwater (I.e. turning to that side or when weighted for surfing on that side.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Jeff pretty much hit on all cylinders. Do what he described and you will most likely find the leak. I had similar symptoms and it took me 3 years to find it. Leak wasn't quite as bad as yours, but turned out to be a hose and clamp not on correctly. It would only leak under load!!! Not at idle.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
You probably have a large petcock where you can completely eliminate the ballast as an issue.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but where and what is a petcock?

Going out to lake tonight to try to figure this all out.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but where and what is a petcock?

Going out to lake tonight to try to figure this all out.
Follow one of the intake hoses from a ballast pump. That should lead you back to the main intake thru hull for the ballast system. The petcock (or valve) will be right there if you have one.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Many thanks! Will let you know what I find when following your advice.