Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Playing Pandora Through the Clarion CMD6 USB input via Iphone

Guys,
I want to run Pandora through my Iphone but everytime I connect it with the Iphone-USB connection it automatically switch to my Ipod music. Does anyone know how to do this?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
I believe that if you have pandora already playing on your phone when you plug it in that it will stay on pandora. If not, pause your iPod, double push the home button and scroll to pandora and try to start it that way.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-2; 320 Ilmor
Send a message via Skype™ to RustyMC
^+1 for Trig - that's how mine works in my truck and boat (I am also using Clarion head unit).
Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Guys,
I want to run Pandora through my Iphone but everytime I connect it with the Iphone-USB connection it automatically switch to my Ipod music. Does anyone know how to do this?
I'm not aware of any head units that will play Pandora that way. The only way I know of it by using the headphone jack, plugging into a line level input jack. Obviously, this kills any chance of the head unit being water-resistant, at least on the front (unless it has a jack on the rear).

If it works as posted before, it's a good thing.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Mine automatically switches to IPod as soon as I plug it into the head unit via the IPod cable. It doesn't matter if Pandora is on or anything else. I have an auxiliary headphone jack connected to my extra RCA jacks but wanted to know if there was a setting I was missing to run Pandora.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 5.7L Predator
I was of the impression that Iphone or Android OS can't push Software-level music generation through USB. Someone may have the counter-evidence to this, but my understanding is that the device can't use a USB connection as sound output for device-side software. Typically, a USB connection for Iphone or Android behaves more like a passthrough for the raw storage of media, i.e. it treats the Iphone as a glorified flash drive with an additional layer of control allowing the audio receiver to play the raw music file (.mp3, .aac, .wma, etc.)

As already mentioned, the headphone jack, on the other hand, is a post-software, analog sound output and should pass any audio (including Pandora) without a hitch.

I ran into this same issue in my F150 with USB/Sync until I began using bluetooth.

-Austin
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
MC Master Poster

I don't think it will be long before AirPlay is on head units. It's on AV receivers that are less than $900 now and they have all kinds of stuff a marine or car head unit doesn't need, so it has to be doable. Obviously, it needs a network, but a wireless router is cheap and runs on 12VDC, anyway.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter281 View Post
I was of the impression that Iphone or Android OS can't push Software-level music generation through USB.
Last weekend when I plugged my Iphone into my CMD6 via usb the TuneIn Radio app fired up. I was listening to a hockey game through the app so it was the last audio I had listened to on my Iphone. It may just depend on the App ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I don't think it will be long before AirPlay is on head units. It's on AV receivers that are less than $900 now and they have all kinds of stuff a marine or car head unit doesn't need, so it has to be doable. Obviously, it needs a network, but a wireless router is cheap and runs on 12VDC, anyway.
If the head unit supports a2dp then the iphone or ipod touch treats it just like an AirPlay device. Not sure what the difference in sound quality would be between true AirPlay streaming or bluetooth via a2dp, but from the Apple device side it treats it the same. I bought one of these Avantalk® Bluetooth Audio Converter for my truck so my daughters can stream their Ipods to my factory head unit via an aux input. We've got a Denon home receiver that supports Airplay as well as an AppleTV so my daughters know how the AirPlay system works. Exile Audio has their version of the Avantalk coming out pretty soon that has a higher rated rechargeable battery. I'll probably pick one up for my boat since I've got two aux inputs on the CMD6. I wish these could be hardwired for power instead of charged via the cigarette lighter.

Last edited by rgardjr1; 04-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 x star
When the HU is on the iPod input hit Options and go to "S-Control" change to enabled and hold down enter. That should let you control the iPod from the iPod
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Good thread. Got me off my butt to take a few mins and sit in the boat in the garage and figure out the Sony marine HU control for switching between head control or device control. There is a "mode" button on bottom left. Hold it for a couple of seconds to toggle between modes. Nice. I've been using the headphone jack for pandora for two summers cuz focusing on skiing has been number one and I never took the time to figure it out. And I sure as hell wasn't gonna read the instructions . Hope this helps others with sonys.