Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
2008 X-15 stock speakers

I have a bad speaker on a 2008 X15 - the interior speaker near the driver's seat. Anyone know for sure what size fits the stock fittings? I don't recall if the speakers are 6.5" coax, component, or what... standard or slim mount?

I don't have easy access to the boat at the moment and wanted to order a new pair without having to drive across town to remove the old speaker. Any recommendations on a decent pair appreciated. Left to my own devices, I'd probably get the Polk marine speakers from Amazon such as the DB651s (coax) or the DB6501 (component). I vaguely recall the stock speakers being component speakers...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
JL AUDIO M770-CCX-SG-WH 7.7 is what the OEM speaker is...I would just pull the speaker and see if it has a loose connection. The OEM speaker is a very very nice speaker and in my opinion your best option. The speaker is a 7 inch component speaker. I would suggest just sending it to JL and have them repair it if it were not working properly...If you are going to remove the 2 pairs of speakers I'll take them off your hands if you want to sell them. my 2 cents
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
I recommend that you also check out the documentation of your amplifier and make sure the amplifier has been set properly for the channels that drive the speakers.

you can risk damaging speakers and sub-woofers by not having the amplifier settings properly set.

What kind of amp do you have? the matching JL Audio Amp? ... all those components are high quality and JL has a good warranty.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Thanks, guys. Good information.. The speakers are the stock speakers, but they're 4+ years old and I'm assuming are out of warranty. A cat pissed on the one that is not working (yuk), which is my suspicion of the root cause of the failure - either directly due to the cat or my efforts to clean the stank off it. Even if the equipment is technically under warranty, I doubt JL warranties against a-hole cats.

Ideally I'd pull the speaker, check for loose connections, maybe hook a different speaker I know works to make sure it's not a channel on the amp, etc. before I buy a pair of replacements, but I store my boat a decent distance from my house. It's easier for me to order the speakers assuming it is a bad and return the speakers if they are not needed. I'll order those JLs or as similar as I can.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
check out these - best price I have seen on JL stuff. I have not ordered from them, no idea if they are legit.

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...FYS8KgodoDHHoQ
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
check out these - best price I have seen on JL stuff. I have not ordered from them, no idea if they are legit.

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...FYS8KgodoDHHoQ
Matt - I hvae ordered from them once and the product came in as advertised ..... now I just got to get them installed on my tower .... peace.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."