Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozinke View Post
I found the resistance chart and I think my sensor is good. I'm going to hook it up to a diagnostic scanner. Same as a car right? I found a plug by the ecm, but it wasn't the same shape as a car. Do I need a special adapter or am I looking at the wrong plug?
If it's a 2000 model, you could use a paper clip, if you want. Bend it into t U and insert the ends into terminals A and B, then use the check engine light to count the flashes after turning the key to ON. If you only see 1 flash, a short pause and then 2 flashes, repeated three times (this represents 12) and no other codes when the three 12 flashes are repeated, your sender is fine and you need to look somewhere else, like fuel pressure. If you don't see the check engine light flash this sequence, you'll need to use a test light to connect terminals E and F so the light can be your indicator.

The first thing we were told at MC training was "If you have a drivability issue, check the fuel pressure. At the time, they told us that 80% of all issues were fuel-related and since old fuel or fuel with ethanol are known causes of fuel pump problems, this is the first place to look, not the sensors or codes. While it's possible that you have a code, it's far less likely that you have a bad sensor.

If you do see that codes have been stored, post them here.

Was the engine dropped in with the whole harness/ECM, or are you using the harness/ECM from the original 2000 engine for the 2006? If it is the old one and the engines are different (meaning, if the 2000 was TBI or LTR and the 2006 is the MCX or something completely different from the original), the ECM should be re-programmed because these were programmed based on the specific boat/engine combination. It's not a generic program, like many other manufacturers use.

Last edited by JimN; 04-11-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
It's not the old wiring harness. I bought the complete indmar engine with computer and everything out of a wrecked 2006 Malibu, and installed it myself. I used the boat 10 times last summer with no trouble, but then it died on me out on the water because it wasn't' pumping fuel. I pulled the fuel pump and the nylon tube at the top was kinked. I replaced it, and used the boat again with no trouble. Then this spring the boat ran ok but then the trouble started later in the day. It's hard to think its the fuel pump because it runs fine under heavy load. Just has trouble coming off of idle. I'm kinda thinking it might be timing? Can this engine be checked with a paper clip? It's a regular 2006 310hp indmar.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozinke View Post
It's not the old wiring harness. I bought the complete indmar engine with computer and everything out of a wrecked 2006 Malibu, and installed it myself. I used the boat 10 times last summer with no trouble, but then it died on me out on the water because it wasn't' pumping fuel. I pulled the fuel pump and the nylon tube at the top was kinked. I replaced it, and used the boat again with no trouble. Then this spring the boat ran ok but then the trouble started later in the day. It's hard to think its the fuel pump because it runs fine under heavy load. Just has trouble coming off of idle. I'm kinda thinking it might be timing? Can this engine be checked with a paper clip? It's a regular 2006 310hp indmar.
Now that I know the ECM and harness aren't from a 2000 model, I would contact Indmar to find out if it can be read that way. My gut says no.

Did the Malibu have catalytic converters and/or O2 sensor? If it did and you removed them, that's a major reason it's not running right.

The Mastercraft has an in-tank fuel pump and it doesn't like (meaning it won't survive) running out of gas. If you did this, check the fuel pressure because I can guarantee that the pump won't be long for this world. What kind 0pf fuel pump did the Malibu have? If it's not the in-tank type, you need to find out what the recommended fuel pressure is.

I suspect there's more info that should be made known if this is to be diagnosed but at this point, I would recommend reading the codes- again, contact Indmar or a Malibu dealer to find out how. Also, I would recommend taking a fuel sample- you can do this at the Shrader valve used for checking the pressure if you have a fuel pressure gauge with the bleeder valve by collecting fuel into a known clean container, either by turning the key ON and using the pump priming cycle or while it's running. Let the sample sit for a half hour and see if it has water in it. You'll know if it does- it will either be cloudy or you'll see water droplets settle to the bottom.

BTW- if the Malibu that was the donor for this engine doesn't have a similar hull to your MC, it may not perform as you want. A hull from one company will have very different characteristics WRT hydrodynamics when compared with a hull from another manufacturer. This isn't like taking an engine from one car and slapping it into another car of similar weight and with the same transmission.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM
TT Regular

The motor in the boat was performing great. Since the old motor was an indmar just like the new one it just bolted right up and I used it all last summer with no problems.

I checked the fuel pressure. It primed up to 75lb before I stared it, and then 85 when it was running.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
TT Regular

Well I never posted how I fixed the boat, and you guys helped me a lot. Here is what I found. I had the original fuel pump that came with the boat 2000 205V, and that original fuel pump had a return line that hooked up to the fuel rail. The new engine did not. The new engine was designed to have a pump that had a return in the fuel tank. So my old pump was flooding the engine by giving it 85lb of pressure. I bought a new pump for $350 online, and sold my old one for $200. Pretty good deal for me. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
TT Regular

OK well it's a year later and now I'm ready to finish fixing my boat to get ready for summer. I have 3 gauges that don't work. Temp, oil pressure and fuel. I'm about to take the dash apart because it's been a whole year and I can't remember where I left off. I just know the gauges don't work.

Last edited by turbozinke; 04-02-2013 at 07:32 PM.