Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Kneeboard accident

Not too many details, but a very good reminder to slow down and keep the fun SAFE!

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...WS01/508150320

Teen in good condition after losing arm
August 15, 2005
By Loresha Wilson

ljwilson@gannett.com

Oil City resident Ronnie Cameron and a friend were fishing on Cross Lake on Saturday when they noticed three girls standing in a boat waving their hands.

"It's like they were in distress and I knew something was wrong," Cameron, 46, said.

He was about 50 yards from the other boat when he heard the females say that a little girl had been injured.

"I thought maybe she had scraped her arm or leg skiing," he said. "So I told them to go to Barron's (Landing and Grocery). When I got there I realized she had lost her arm. It's just unbelievable. That's all I keep thinking about."

Late Sunday, Ann Marie Haynie was listed in good condition at LSU Hospital in Shreveport, according to hospital officials.

The 13-year-old daughter of Dr. Richard and Michelle Haynie was kneeboarding Saturday on the lake when her right arm got tangled in the rope and was amputated. Her mother and three other teens who also were on the boat rushed the girl to shore, where employees at Barron's called 911.

Shreveport Fire Department's dive and K-9 teams, with help from agents of Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries and Cross Lake patrol, spent almost six hours Sunday searching for the teenager's limb. Fire Capt. Kerry Foster said the heat posed a danger to the search crew in the water, and they were forced to call the search off.

"We had divers in the water, but we had no witnesses to really put us near the area where the accident actually occurred."

Several members of Grace Community Church in Shreveport, where Haynie and her family are members, spent time at LSU Hospital both Saturday and Sunday visiting with the teenager. It appears she's in good spirits, they said.

Thirteen-year-old Mason Nabors expressed his thoughts in a get-well card created by the youths of Grace on Sunday. The card is in addition to his many prayers for a speedy recovery.

"Ann Marie is really awesome, really humorous and really upbeat," he said. "She is still the same person. She didn't lose a life, she just lost an arm."

The Rev. Rob Weber said it's the mission of the church to bound together in a moment of caring. "We've been present and we will continue to be present. We want to be supportive, but without being smothering."
Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Wow, that just makes me cringe. The driver and skier have to pay attention.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
I know we dont have all the facts, but that sounds like a bad boat driver to me and a TERRIBLE spotter. when someone falls or is in trouble, you need to react NOW!!! Stop the boat!!!!!! This is very sad and very unfortunate. I feel bad for the kid that lost her arm, I cant imagine waht she is going through. I imagine the boat driver feels like $*(%&@. I know I would. Even when I am driving, I still am aware of whats going on with the skier. I watch them in the mirror to make sure all is ok. I know thats waht the spotter is for,but in our area we hardly ever have to watch for other boats or anything, so I stay aware of the skier as much as possible without disctracting myself form boat driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Man, thats rough....... and to make it even more amazing.

http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stori....76d14b40.html
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Leroy

That is really sad to hear. I've heard enough where I want the nylon cover that goes over the handle opening.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
Not sure if you can blame the driver or the spotter for that.
If you get slack in the rope and it wraps your arm,hand,leg,or head when the slack come out the rope with cut like a knife.
It would happen in a split second.Yu would not have time to react.
It makes you wonder where is that rope when you fall.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-Star
Years ago, my brother had a rope accident...he was skiing and warpped his arm in the rope to rest.....lost his balance and fell...he was ok, just bruised up pretty badly.....

I am a real stickler about the ropes now....no one pulls in slack, or holds anywhere but the handle...

All those handles on tubes get me nervous too...I pull two tubes alot and sometimes the kids (teenagers) will swap tubes...I am ALWAYS wary of what goes on....

you probably can't blame the driver here or the spotter, sometimes things go wrong way too fast....

2005 Turn Bouy Orange X-Star
w/ 'Mastercraft by Design' Bling

Official Hydrofoil Junkie
Sky Ski B39 with Soft-Tail Seat
and Cinchmax Strap and Bindings
Old 08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
Not sure if you can blame the driver or the spotter for that.
If you get slack in the rope and it wraps your arm,hand,leg,or head when the slack come out the rope with cut like a knife.
It would happen in a split second.Yu would not have time to react.
It makes you wonder where is that rope when you fall.
This is terrible news.
It does make you wonder sometimes John B. Like that terrible story about the guy that somehow the handle broke his neck and killed him during a cut.
As mentioned earlier, things can happen so fast during watersports.
I'm sure that's why they have so many warnings on all of the equipment and gear.
It even says, "death can occur" on our ski's.

Last edited by stevo137; 08-15-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8smiles
I am a real stickler about the ropes now....no one pulls in slack, or holds anywhere but the handle...
So do you use a quick release?
We use one made by Cinchmax I like it because I don't need to use a spotter that is paying attention 110%, but it will break lose before my arm does. I've had several riders, including myself, get it release a few times.
Bet it would have saved both these girls' arms.