Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I think you should be careful what you're looking for...

If your family really isn't "in" to watersports and are just looking for a boat to run around the lake in, it's not clear to me that they'll be happy with the limitations of an inboard, even a Maristar.
- The ride is far rougher for a ski-style inboard than your average runabout. My Maristar is a much smoother ride than my friend's ProStar, but it's still far, far rougher than my nephew's SleekCraft.
- handling on a ski boat is great going forward at speed. Low speed handling (including reverse) sucks and requires a lot of practice to get good at.
- Top speed just isn't that great considering the size of engine stuffed into the boat. 40-45 is realistically about the best you can hope for; the average runabout with a 350 is going to be going 50-55.

If they're willing to live with these, the Maristar is a great boat. Mine has plenty of power, very comfortable interior, and is built solid. It's held its value remarkably well, and I'm very happy with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.robinson389 View Post
Maybe, although in his thread he said he wasn't interested because it was too far, & no tower. Maybe we should all place bets on who ends up with this beauty.

J. rob. It was indeed me who he was referring to. My sister lives up in Michigan and I decided to visit her and go see the boat at the same time. I ended up purchasing it and bringing it back. I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a tower, but I decided to get over it considering I'm not a professional wakeboarder by any means. Anyway, it didn't come with a FULL cover or a bimini so I'm going to purchase each of these items.

The only other thing that I noticed on the boat is apparently the previous owner scratched up part of the hull underneath on an exposed piece of the trailer and it is going to need some gelcoat repair. The awesome thing was, I paid an independent mechanic (dealer) to check the boat inside and out and they caught other minor items such as a trailer light way underneath the boat that needed a new bulb, but didn't even find the gelcoat issue. Lesson learned....get all the way under the trailer and look for yourself. Even better, have them put it on a hoist and lift the boat up so you can see any damage that may have occurred as a result of it being trailered wrong. All it takes is one time.

Anyway, I'm taking it to the local MC shop later in the week to have them give me an estimate on the gelcoat repair. As for now, it is looking pretty in storage, albeit with some minor blemishes to her hull.

Craziest thing is, I may not even get to keep the boat for very long. After all my searching and waiting, finally buying, and then hauling it back, I may have to resell it and wait to buy again next year. I was recently informed that my budget has been reduced (long story) and I may not get to spend all the money that I would want to make the boat "mine." So don't be too shocked if you see it return to craigslist in the not so distant future. I sure hope not as it is a beautiful boat, but we will see shortly.

Sorry for the long rant and thread derailment but I noticed some of you were placing bets and wanted to tell the story. :-)
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
....get all the way under the trailer and look for yourself..
I was recently informed that my budget has been reduced (long story) and I may not get to spend all the money that I would want to make the boat "mine."
If it's that hard to find the damage I'd just grind on it a bit with a dremel and fill it with Marine Tex especially when considering your budget crisis. It will be a sound but not necessarily aesthetically pleasing fix.

If you have a few hundred bucks down the road and want to get a professional repair then just grind the marine tex out with the dremel and bring it to a shop.

If you're at the point where you just need to try to "flip" the boat to make it worth your time then probably spend the money for a pretty fix so you don't (in good conscience) have to show the spot to potential buyers.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
If it's that hard to find the damage I'd just grind on it a bit with a dremel and fill it with Marine Tex especially when considering your budget crisis. It will be a sound but not necessarily aesthetically pleasing fix.

If you have a few hundred bucks down the road and want to get a professional repair then just grind the marine tex out with the dremel and bring it to a shop.

If you're at the point where you just need to try to "flip" the boat to make it worth your time then probably spend the money for a pretty fix so you don't (in good conscience) have to show the spot to potential buyers.
Jeff, no it's not hard to see once you get underneath there as the fiberglass is actually showing. And I'm probably like you in that I'm really anal when it comes to things being fixed right the first time. So I'm going to have a professional do all the necessary repairs. I just hope that when he/she gets done, I've not sunk in all the money that was going to actually let me enjoy the boat. I had money set aside for things that I wanted to do to the boat and this wasn't something I wanted to spend cash on right off hand. But as they say, you live and learn.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

I just wish some of you guys actually lived close so you could come over and show me a thing or two mechanically and what things I should try and do myself versus those that should never be attempted except by a professional. Gelcoat is one of those things that I would hate to screw up..thus a professional will definitely be doing this work.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

I don't want to continue to derail this thread so checkout the one that I actually started for pics.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=46235&page=2