Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
amp mounting in X-2

I'm getting ready to mount my amps and started looking closer at my mounting location. I was going to mount them over my batteries under the lift up observers seat (which is where I think the factory mount is at). There is a stepped out spot, that I assumed was thicker fiberglass or a wood insert for mounting screws. I looked closer tonight and realized that the stepped out spot was actually to allow the wind block door to be recessed. I'm worried about screw length, having long enough screws to hold the amp, but no too long to break through.

Is that the correct amp mounting location? Any idea how long of screws are used?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
I would peal some carpet back and see what's doin'
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

I've been thinking about this more, and I think the best route to take is to pull the carpet and glue in a backing material to add thickness. I've seen some pictures of this in the past. I'd like to use the "plastic" sheeting instead of plywood. Anyone know where to get it and what the best adhesive to use to glue it to the fiberglass?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I got some 1/2" hdpe starboard for my amp rack off ebay. It was about $10/sq ft with free shipping. They will cut it to whatever size you need. I think the best way to attach it to the hull is to fiberglass it in.

I glued some small backing plates onto the hull and screwed the starboard in to those. I wish I had just glassed in one big piece.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

I pulled my carpet off tonight. I'm going to try using the cutting board method. I'm in the process of adhering it to the fiberglass wall. Any recommendations on what to glue the carpet back on with?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I used adhesive and mounted studs to hull, then used wing nuts to hold amp rack (large cutting board from costco, with gray carpet glued to it).

While the carpet cuts outs look hack, I know, they are hidden behind amp board.

On a prostar, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 04-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
No need to build an amp rack...unless you want to.
The 'glass on the side of the walk thru is thick enough in most areas.
See pic below. I mounted aluminum tube "rails" to the inside of the walk thru (OE location for amps) and then mounted the amps to these rails. Gave some clear space behind the amps for airflow and made a decent place to run/hide wires.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
See pic below. I mounted aluminum tube "rails" to the inside of the walk thru (OE location for amps) and then mounted the amps to these rails. Gave some clear space behind the amps for airflow and made a decent place to run/hide wires.

Thrall: Are you pulling the ulpostery off the side at the walk though? If so how does it come off to bolt through the glass. I need to mount my amps the same way you are but need help exposing the finish side. Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
That has disaster written all over it.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
That has disaster written all over it.
That's how/where they mount them from the factory. You need to pay close attention to screw length. One of the advantages of an amp rack is being able to do some of the wiring and mounting the amps with out being stuck down in that compartment for hours on end. I think you can make a cleaner looking install with the rack as well. If I ever replace my tower amp I will build and amp rack, but right now since it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it. Here's a picture before I swapped out the JL factory amp for a 6 channel ARC Audio:

Last edited by rgardjr1; 04-10-2012 at 12:34 PM.