Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-15-2012, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Nice work!! I've got an 88, and have been working on small things to tidy it up. I really like what you've done with the mount for the amp. The head unit in mine is bad, so when I replace it, I might add an amp and sub. I may have to follow your lead on the mounting. Just to clarify- you epoxied/glued the Trex blocks to the hull, epoxied bolts in to holes, then bolt the amp mounting plate to that?
G
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
atsa - nice.... nice work!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Nice work!! I've got an 88, and have been working on small things to tidy it up. I really like what you've done with the mount for the amp. The head unit in mine is bad, so when I replace it, I might add an amp and sub. I may have to follow your lead on the mounting. Just to clarify- you epoxied/glued the Trex blocks to the hull, epoxied bolts in to holes, then bolt the amp mounting plate to that?
G
You got it! Don't forget to countersink the bolt holes into the trex. You've got to epoxy them in there really well because when you start cranking down on the bolts the last thing you want is for the head of that nut to start spinning behind the trex, where you will never be able to get to it again (because you've glued it to the hull already).

I used PL Premium to secure the Trex to the hull, based on other experience I read on various boating forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Any thoughts on maybe drilling/tapping in to the Trex instead? It would seem that the weight of the amp/extinguisher wouldn't put much load on the plastic, I wonder if a coarse-thread bolt would hold well? Or maybe thread in and epoxy a stud? Tho I guess you're not going to be installing/removing the mount plate often, so the bolt turning shouldn't be a problem.
G
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Any thoughts on maybe drilling/tapping in to the Trex instead? It would seem that the weight of the amp/extinguisher wouldn't put much load on the plastic, I wonder if a coarse-thread bolt would hold well? Or maybe thread in and epoxy a stud? Tho I guess you're not going to be installing/removing the mount plate often, so the bolt turning shouldn't be a problem.
G
Yeah, I thought about that too. But there just seemed to be so many more variables:

- you would need exactly the right bolt length or risk punching into the hull
- what if you over tightened and stripped the hole
- Difficult to align when going to mount the board with amp attached (it's pretty heavy)

With the bolt facing this way, you can get a slightly longer bolt and never worry that it might be too short, or that it will strip out in the trex. Also, it's MUCH easier to position everything if you can just hang your board on the bolts, then move your hands away to find your ratchet.

Trying to fiddle with 2 heavy 4 gauge wires and 8 speaker wires while positioning the heavy board and trying to align the bolts in their holes could be very frustrating.

I really think this is the way to go.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Very good points- I hadn't thought about the weight part and having to support and align the amp mount while trying to thread the bolt in. I should have thought about that, given that a little while ago, I replaced a threaded hole/bolt combination on my motorcycle with a stud/nut system which made it much easier to mount things.
Good call!

G
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

When I bought this boat in the middle of winter, there was no way to hear it run before exchanging the money.

Needless to say, when I got the boat out today and turned the key for the FIRST time, I was pretty thrilled when it came to life. Now all that is left is to get it wet! Next weekend will be the maiden voyage, I hope.

A quick video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijRH...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
When I bought this boat in the middle of winter, there was no way to hear it run before exchanging the money.

Needless to say, when I got the boat out today and turned the key for the FIRST time, I was pretty thrilled when it came to life. Now all that is left is to get it wet! Next weekend will be the maiden voyage, I hope.

A quick video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijRH...ature=youtu.be
The only thing better than the first start is the first time out on the water. or maybe the second time out.......or perhaps the third

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
The only thing better than the first start is the first time out on the water. or maybe the second time out.......or perhaps the third
Isnt that the truth. Third time was the charm for me
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Cool video. Just ran mine on hose last weekend for the first time since last summer.

Great feeling.