Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Buffing boat question

I have a 01 xstar that is all white with a the black stripe around it. My question is when I compound the boat with my rotary is it true that I need to do the black last? Something about the black getting on the wool pad??? Or does it matter if I do it all at the same time?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Before my wrap, my boat was white upper and black lower and I don't recall having any bleed over issues on the wool. I would say your fine just based off my experience, but there might be someone on the board that has a detail background that will chime in.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Never heard such a thing. Sounds hinky to me...
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
My PS200 is Dark Blue and Grey. While the wool pad will get some blue on it, it hasn't stained the grey when overlapping the two colors. You shouldn't have any problems. If the wool pad gets really black rinse with water, wring it out inside a towel and put it back on the polisher.

Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

What do you guys think is less messy? Applying compound to boat first with a rag or applying to wool pad and rubbing it on? Also any tips on doing interior panels without making a huge mess? If figured I would take out all the interior I could then tape and plastic all areas I don't want splatter.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Also I plan on using a wool compounding pad for my Imperial 3m compound, with the perfect it I bought a 3m yellow soft wool pad. Do you guys suggest a foam waffle pad for the polish or will I be fine with the yellow? I just don't want swirls left in my gel.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
What do you guys think is less messy? Applying compound to boat first with a rag or applying to wool pad and rubbing it on? Also any tips on doing interior panels without making a huge mess? If figured I would take out all the interior I could then tape and plastic all areas I don't want splatter.

Just put it on the pad. It's going to get everywhere. If you want to tape it up that's fine and the best method. I normally just lay a painters blanket on the area I'm not working on. Then wash the blanket when done for the next wax job.

If you don't want swirls here's what I recommend. Use compound apply more pressure at first then lighten up. The harder you press the harder the swirl so you want to be super light at the end of the section your doing. If you want to remove all swirls I recommend going back over the boat with 3M Swirl Remover and a med-light pad, it works great. Then I would put the last coat of sealer on it with the very soft pad. So all in all you will buff your boat out three times but it will be nice when you get done!