Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Prop puller on the cheap

I recently bought a new prop, so I figured that I would need a prop puller. No way that I was going to pay $90 for a glorified C-clamp with a U shaped cutout. I built this one out of a $12 Irwin C-clamp from Lowe's. I started by cutting off the one end with a hacksaw. I then found a scrap piece of 3/8" thick aluminum. Luckily, I have a Bridgeport mill at my work that I can use. I milled a 3/16" slot in the aluminum, which fit over the clamp web perfectly. I then milled a 1-1/8" diameter slot in the aluminum to fit over the prop shaft. (Unbelievably, I found a 1-1/8" endmill in the junk drawer next the Bridgeport at work.) I then drilled two 1/8" holes through the narrow side of the aluminum and through the clamp and inserted two roll pins.
Attached Images

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Cheater. We have a shop full of equipment that I am not "qualified" to use. Unfortunately I did a lot of that two jobs ago. Not worth the fight at this point...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
If I had a Bridgeport mill and some 3/8" aluminum scrap laying around I would build my own too.

I hope those two roll pins are stout enough, they probably are.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
very creative, nice job.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Very cool!! Going to have to make a trip to Lowes for a clamp. *starts rummaging in scrap bin*
You'll have to put it to use and report back on your great success!!
G
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Only hope the aluminum is strong enough.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
If I had a Bridgeport mill and some 3/8" aluminum scrap laying around I would build my own too.
LOL I was thinking the same thing!

I think I will make the "farm boy" version with some scrap steel and my plasma cutter!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 Maristar 225VRS 5.7 LT1
Quote:
I think I will make the "farm boy" version with some scrap steel and my plasma cutter!
A 1 1/8" hole saw and 2 straight cuts will work too. Sounds like I have a new project for this weekend

Nice job on the build!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
If you don't have the use of a mill, you can get a 1-1/8" drill bit from Amazon for $15 bucks. Drill the hole and then use a bandsaw or jigsaw to make it into a slot. You could also bandsaw or jigsaw the small slot and then use a file to fine tune it. Just would take extra time.

My boat had the original prop on it and my bet was that the original owner had never taken it off. I was sure that it would be stuck tight. Well, before I put the prop puller on, I decided just to give it a slight tug by hand. The prop came loose with maybe 5 pounds of force. So, I didn't really get to test my puller out.

The prop puller fits on the boat perfectly though. I think that the aluminum will be plenty strong. I mounted the aluminum right up against the flange of the C-clamp. Before I installed the bottom roll pin, I pivoted the aluminum to be up tight against the flange. This way the web of the C-clamp helps to take a lot of the force.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.