Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Xstar
Starter ?

Is there a difference in a "marine" starter and a regular starter that I can pick up at auto zone or napa? The boat is a 2000 x star with 5.7 indmar. Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
yes... one is marinized to isolate/shield sparks. NAPA's brand is Powersports
Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
+2, NEVER put a regular starter in a boat. Could cause a major explosion.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
The spark warning is kind of a myth IMO. Open your engine box at night. Likely you'll see sparks jumping all over. Others here have said the same thing. IMO the best reason to use a marine starter is it seems to be protected from moisture much better. On my last boat I went through a starter every 2 years, all were NAPA which have a lifetime warranty so no cost to me. I've read autozone also sells marine starters
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 AM
TT Regular

thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I've never heard the myth about marine starters. All the manufactures use them and I personally would not consider anything but a marine starter.

Also all rebuilds are not created equal. If you're burning through a starter a year under normal use something else is causing the problem or you have junk rebuilt starters. I'm on my fourth MC and have yet to replace a starter (knock on wood). On the other hand I've swapped out boats at around 500 hours. If you're only getting 50 - 100 hours on a starter you've got to be doing something wrong or there is another problem there. Discount Inboard Marine sells new starter pretty reasonable. For the small difference I'd recommend going new.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
The spark warning is kind of a myth IMO. Open your engine box at night. Likely you'll see sparks jumping all over. Others here have said the same thing. IMO the best reason to use a marine starter is it seems to be protected from moisture much better. On my last boat I went through a starter every 2 years, all were NAPA which have a lifetime warranty so no cost to me. I've read autozone also sells marine starters
Not a myth, having old wires is also dangerous in your engine compartment. The marine starter has a cover over the brushes where sparks can be created. USCG has tested starters and alternator in closed environments where fuel and air mixtures where correct for ignition from any spark.

If you run your blower correctly - that act should upset any accumulation of fumes that may cause a fire risk situation.

Start up is the most risk since gasoline vapors are heavier than air and can accumulate under motor.

It's a safety issue to reduce fires - which I think is a good thing - If I ever have a fire - I know it won't be from something I failed to do. There's enough stuff to worry about when afloat or at the ramp.

If there's a fire and someone is injured and your part of an investigation -and a non marine starter is not found get ready to empty your pockets.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM
TT Regular

Just placed my order with Discount Inboard, Nice and friendly customer service and it looks like it will be here Friday. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas21 View Post
Just placed my order with Discount Inboard, Nice and friendly customer service and it looks like it will be here Friday. Thanks again for all the help guys.
good decision!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:17 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
Then you and the people that say they are seeing sparks jumping all over are doing something very wrong!

I've never seen a spark in my engine area let alone a lot of them jumping around. I've never seen this happen with out reason in a car either.

Quote:
SAE J1171

This recommended practice covers all electrical devices suitable for use in marine engine compartments and fuel tank spaces. To recommend a test procedure for certifying the External Ignition Protection of electrical devices used on boats.