Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
2012 Stock Tower Speakers compared to Wetsounds

So for those with experience with the MC audio systems, how do the stock 2012 4-Speaker JL setups compare to Wetsounds Pro 60's or Pro 80s? I had 4 X Bullet 6.5" HLCD's on my last boat and wondering if this will be a big step down or close to the same.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
The JL Audio 7.7" tower speakers are a good, musically accurate product. A very smooth response with well balanced midbass. As a surf speaker or when lounging around at rest it will be hard to find a sound quality upgrade. And, the JL Audio 7.7s will make a giant leap forward if you give them more power than factory. However, they just don't project to wake range well if that is your main objective. They are not SPL monsters. If you want long range projection with some real authority then you would make the conversion to HLCDs with more power.
Skip over any of the smaller 6.5" HLCDs now that there are other options. The new Wetsounds REV8 8" HLCD is in the same compact pod as the previous Pro60. The REV series are a significant upgrade over the Pro series in sound quality. You now have 8" REV8 and 10" REV10 HLCDs to choose from.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
^ what he said.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X45 6.2L
501s- I was in your same predicament about the tower speakers. When we ordered our X45 the dealer said that he would switch out the Mastercraft speakers with wetsounds for no extra cost because they were about the same price. I had wetsounds on my last boat and there is no comparison to these when you’re behind the boat. I was worried about the hang height so we decided to go with the REV8s. I looked at the specs and they had about the same peak/RMS watts as the PRO80s but they were a few decimals louder.Also your getting a newer design and from what I have read they have a better sound quality.

Talk to your dealer and see if they will do this for you because to me it’s the best option. They used the stock AMP which I’m sure is under powering them but I plan to switch that out in the next couple of months. Hope this helps some.

They only thing that im not to sure about is if they have a quick connect to take them on and off the tower quickly which is nice to be able to get them off the tower when the boat is in storage.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Thanks for the comments. My dealer swears up and down that the JL's are very good speakers and I will be able to hear them clearly while wakeboarding. I had 4 Polks 6.5" co-ax's on my old boat and they were ok but when I upgraded to HLCD's I could really hear the difference which is why I posted the question.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
You will be able to hear 4 JL's clearly at wakeboard distances/speed, IF, you put some power to them. They respond very well to about 150W RMS/speaker.
I never rode behind a boat with properly set up HLCD's, but just hearing some at the lake from a distance, they will be much louder while boarding.
I added 2 more JL's to my 06, so 4 total and have 200+W/speaker available to them, but the amp is dialed back a bit and in the boat or right behind the boat they are very loud and clear.
My buddy has an X15 with the same speakers, cockpit and tower, but he has 3 subs vs 1 12" DVC Boston sub in my boat. His boat has a combo of a couple OE amps and another add on, but the speakers are all very underpowered and my boat sounds waaaaay better with proper power to all the speakers.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN