Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Tower Speaker Wiring Help

I'm installing some Exile equipment in my friends 06-07ish X-45.

When he bough it, it came with the 2 factory JL tower speakers. I'm installing 4 of the Exile XM7s. I pulled the caps off the blank mounts and fished the wires out.

When I trace the wires, I can see that the speaker wiring comes out on the port side and the (tower) lights come out the starboard side. However, only 2 sets of wires come out for the speakers (green, green w/ black, purple, purple w/black)

So, am I correct in assuming that these are 4 speakers are paralleled into 2 inside of the tower? Or do I have some more fishing/wiring to do?

PLEASE HELP
Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Get an ohm meter and connect it to a pair of leads. If your speakers are 4 ohms each you should see roughly 2 ohms on your meter if each pair is in parallel. If they were in series (doubtful) you'd see 8 ohms.

Those impedance values are nominal though. So, it won't be reflected exactly on your ohm meter. If you see something like 1.87 on your meter then that's ok.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
My '08 PS214 came with 2 factory JL tower speakers mounted on the center 2 spots, but at the amp, there where 4 sets of speakers wires. The green/green black were wired to the port side mounts and the purple/purple black were wired to the starbord side mounts. So there were 2 sets of purple wires at the amp and 2 sets of green wires at the amp. Here is a pic from my install, sorry for the poor cell phone quality. You can see the extra sets of unused speaker wires. I'm not sure why they are the same colors. I need to check it out, I may have to rewire mine. Anyone else have two sets of the same color wires from the tower?
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Nice amp install. Ha!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Nice amp install. Ha!

That's a beautiful install compared to what was put in my friends boat originally. I spent 2 hours yesterday re-organizing stuff trying to make out their mess of wires

Disclaimer: I do not recommend at all wiring 4 towers speakers into a series/parallel connection. That would be a gigantic PITA

Last edited by Beastb15; 03-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Nice amp install. Ha!
LOL, here's how it ended up, but like Beastb15, I'm now concerned about the wiring. I have the 4 channel Exile amp bridged. I'm wondering if the pair of speaker wires I have connected to the amp, go straight to, and only to, the 2 speakers on my tower......Does it make sense for MC to run the same color wires to individual speakers? or could they be wired in series/parallel?
Attached Images

Last edited by gts-20; 03-19-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Ocean Kayak
You could test them by touching a drill battery to the positive and negative on the "speaker wire" and seeing how it responds. If you see the cone move, then it's wired correctly, internally, and you just need to wire it up. There should never be two sets of wires out of one speaker pod unless they're separates and there is a crossover involved.