Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Sub woofer

My sub seems to be putting out a terrible vibration when I turned on the system for the first time in 5 months. It sounds like it is blown out. How do I check this or troubleshoot the issue to know what I am dealing with?
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Ocean Kayak
Is the vibration like a humming sound (i.e. some type of low level interference) or is it more of a "somethings broken" sound? It's likely that it's blown if that's your inclination.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM
MC Fanatic

It is not humming more like a low vibrating of the whole unit.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
is something loose?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
It can be debris between the speaker and basket or speaker and grill.
The flexible tinsel leads that run between the terminals and cone can be pushed out of place and buzzing against the back of the cone.
Reach through and run your fingers around the back side of the cone perimeter to see if the cone has separated at any point from the outer rubber surround.
Check and see if the spider (interior rear suspension) has separated from either the cone or the frame/basket.
Remove the grill and gently, equally push in on the center of the cone to see if the voice coil is rubbing internally. If you push in more on one side than the other you can create contact which is not an indication of anything wrong. Also, apply a little pressure on the cone as it is playing to see if this has any impact as it could be an intermittent connection between the tinsel leads and voice coil wire (which you are unable to visually inspect).
Most likely one of these trials will produce the cause. If not then move to a temporary substitute in amplifier to isolate the electronics.
Make sure there is zero bass boost on the amplifier.
Check the crossover setting. Anything below 100 Hz lowpass on an infinite baffle woofer is too low.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
It can be debris between the speaker and basket or speaker and grill.
The flexible tinsel leads that run between the terminals and cone can be pushed out of place and buzzing against the back of the cone.
Reach through and run your fingers around the back side of the cone perimeter to see if the cone has separated at any point from the outer rubber surround.
Check and see if the spider (interior rear suspension) has separated from either the cone or the frame/basket.
Remove the grill and gently, equally push in on the center of the cone to see if the voice coil is rubbing internally. If you push in more on one side than the other you can create contact which is not an indication of anything wrong. Also, apply a little pressure on the cone as it is playing to see if this has any impact as it could be an intermittent connection between the tinsel leads and voice coil wire (which you are unable to visually inspect).
Most likely one of these trials will produce the cause. If not then move to a temporary substitute in amplifier to isolate the electronics.
Make sure there is zero bass boost on the amplifier.
Check the crossover setting. Anything below 100 Hz lowpass on an infinite baffle woofer is too low.

David
Earmark Marine
I was able to stop the vibration by placing my finger on the cone so I will try your advice when I get back in town. Thanks
1996 Bayliner 2050