Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, PS 197, 08,
PS197 wakes gettin abused

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/di...gain-this-year

Any of you guys frequent this forum? Can be a little biased sometimes but usually a pretty good crossection of users. If there's anybody back at MC headquarters that cares these are pretty common responses from skiers in our neck of the woods as well.

We happen to love our 197, frequently ski behind 196's, 200's (weekly) and only the occasional LXI and can honestly say in my opinion the difference is marginal...I guess I should consider myself thankful we happened to get one of the good hulls but alright already....RELEASE THE NEW HULL and shut these people up.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
I am on BOS, I have been visiting that thread as well...

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm on there, too. They (we) don't have a dog in the hunt. Just people voicing their opinions. No need to shut us up.

MC has been saying for years that the 197 is second to none. So why change it, right? For the record, I think a lot of those same people liked the 2011 hull with a specific prop compliment.

Would love to see a revision, personally, but I still haven't skied the 200. So I am still just comparing it to the 196/SN(TSC).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
I think the majority of the wake complaints are regarding slower speeds and longer line lengths. Specifically juniors and women.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
I'm also on BOS and it is frustrating to hear the "wake" bashing...if the 197 hull is the same from 2002 to 2012, then what changed to make the wake worse "all of the sudden" at longer line lengths and slower speeds? We didn't hear these wake complaints between 2002 and 2010? Yes, the SN200 wake is pretty flat, so maybe it's just a new comparison to that boat/wake when it was introduced 2 years ago? I've skied behind the top 3 and the wakes are all different depending on engine, prop, crew weight, etc; of course, that's at 34 mph. Bottomline, stay on edge through both wakes and soft knees! mac
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
I'm also on BOS and it is frustrating to hear the "wake" bashing...if the 197 hull is the same from 2002 to 2012, then what changed to make the wake worse "all of the sudden" at longer line lengths and slower speeds? We didn't hear these wake complaints between 2002 and 2010? Yes, the SN200 wake is pretty flat, so maybe it's just a new comparison to that boat/wake when it was introduced 2 years ago? I've skied behind the top 3 and the wakes are all different depending on engine, prop, crew weight, etc; of course, that's at 34 mph. Bottomline, stay on edge through both wakes and soft knees! mac
Hook became standard in 2003. New rudder in 2006. Purportedly, some unadvertised bow weight loss in 2008. That interesting bullet strut in 2011. Yes, the hull is technically the same. But the boat has changed over the years and different year models don't necessarily ski the same. I'm a long line slower speed skier. Suffice it to say that the 197 isn't designed for longliners and slow goers. But most of us will never see 38 off. Nonetheless, I enjoy skiing behind it very much when I have the opportunity. That's not to say I don't have my preferences, but complaining about getting to ski behind a high end ski boat like the 197 at my level is a bit ridiculous. I think the people that had the most to say on the subject over at BOS are the tournament types if I recall correctly. But I could be wrong.

Don't sweat it. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. It's a great boat.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-22-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
From what's been said ,MC has like 5 different molds for the 197 and they are not exactly the same. Also engine size , make and placement has been discussed to make a difference. So even though they are technically the same some are better than others even within the same model year.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM
MC Hero

I doubt that is so uncommon in the boating industry. A friend of mine told me the other day that the wake behind my boat is loads better than another person's with whom he skis 2000 SN. Same hull, same motor, same transmission, but they ski differently.

These boats are largely hand built. It's amazing two of the same model are as similar as they are.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Hook became standard in 2003. New rudder in 2006. Purportedly, some unadvertised bow weight loss in 2008. That interesting bullet strut in 2011. Yes, the hull is technically the same. But the boat has changed over the years and different year models don't necessarily ski the same. I'm a long line slower speed skier. Suffice it to say that the 197 isn't designed for longliners and slow goers. But most of us will never see 38 off. Nonetheless, I enjoy skiing behind it very much when I have the opportunity. That's not to say I don't have my preferences, but complaining about getting to ski behind a high end ski boat like the 197 at my level is a bit ridiculous. I think the people that had the most to say on the subject over at BOS are the tournament types if I recall correctly. But I could be wrong.

Don't sweat it. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. It's a great boat.
Eastie: Hadn't heard about the 2008 "unadvertised" weight loss/diet...that's an interesting one; especially, since most of the TTs used in tournaments are using some wt in the bow to help flatten the wake...not sure what rope length/speed the bow wts affect?

You would think in this era of technology marvels all molds would be identical!

Ref BOS, true, most of the folks complaining are tournament skiers at longer lines lengths and slower speeds.

No matter what people say, I still love my 2005 TT mac

PS: Just to highlight the differences btwn diff engines, I skied in 2 tournaments in the last month at the same lake, same B2 setting, both behind the SN200...first SN200 was a 6.0L, the 2d SN200 was a 5.7L...amazingly, a big difference in the feel of the pull...the 6.0 was a lot softer pull than 5.7; apparently, the 6.0 is running 300 or so rpms slower than the 5.7. So, it doesn't take much to change the characteristics of a boat!
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012

Last edited by macattack; 07-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
MC Hero

I have heard a lot of people tying weight to the underside of the lifting ring. I tried it in my 98 SN and absolutely hated it. Wake seemed unaffected by 60+ lbs of weight and it plowed a idle speeds and was hard to steer. Got rid of it. Wasn't necessary.

With the amp, sub, and misc. gear in my bow, I may have enough weight up there.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club