Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
WS420 Aux Input

Look what I found… I ran the boat in my driveway (Perko Flush Pro, separate topic, love this thing) this week due to unbelievable early spring weather in March here in Cincy. I was playing around with the stereo and decided to see if aux hook up would work with my HTC Incredible phone, low and behold it does. Phone media player is the Verizon CAST music.
Interesting though, found some differences with this method vs. using the CNET connection on the Clarion and curious why it would be different, come on stereo gurus, chime in.

My set up – Clarion CMD5 W/CNET, output to the WS420, 420 to the 2 amps, M600/6 (D) powers the 4 interiors and sub and the original M4500 powers the 4 towers. My gains have been all set up via JL’s voltage method. Running from a CD sound is great, from the Ipod/CNET connection; output levels seem just a bit lower. When I connected up via the aux on the WS420, the output volume is way higher. Clarion volume is set at about 80%, ¾ volume on the WS420 is max before clipping occurs. With the Aux set up to the phone, ½ or less volume on the 420 clipping occurs. I did not play a ton of songs and need to play with it a bit more and also try my Ipod, but curious why such a big difference. Media volume on the phone was at max. Also, my pre-amp gains on the 420 are pushed to about ¾ on the setting pods.

Thoughts…

OK, while I am at it, thinking of replacing theM 4500/4 with the JL MHD 750/1 for the towers, was doing some research, what is the best method for wiring the 4 JL tower speakers to the single channel amp? In Series, Parallel or would not think Series/Parallel would make sense.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
How old is your ws420? If yours has push buttons to switch the illumination and aux/main inputs instead of toggle switches, there are input gain adjustment screws on top. They removed that adjustment in the newer ones. I think they had trouble with water getting in them.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
MC Devotee

bump..............
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Technically you can run (4) 4 ohm drivers into a 1 or 4 ohm load.

Wiring in parallel would give you 1 ohm
Wiring in series/parallel would give you 4 ohms
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastb15 View Post
Technically you can run (4) 4 ohm drivers into a 1 or 4 ohm load.

Wiring in parallel would give you 1 ohm
Wiring in series/parallel would give you 4 ohms
So a Series/Parallel would put less load on the amp? Pretty sure the MHD 750/1 is rated down to 1 ohm though.

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
So a Series/Parallel would put less load on the amp? Pretty sure the MHD 750/1 is rated down to 1 ohm though.

Thanks,
Well I'm pretty sure you're thinking correctly, just using different language. In the electronical world, "load" implies ohms. So a series/parallel will actually give you a bigger "load" producing a lower power output. A parallel circuit will have a lower "load" and greater power output.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
MHD750 is 750x1 at 1.5-4 ohms, so series/parallel is the way to go

Those jl amps use some type of switching to put out the some amount of power at varying loads, so less load isn't going to give you more power in this case.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Look what I found… I ran the boat in my driveway (Perko Flush Pro, separate topic, love this thing) this week due to unbelievable early spring weather in March here in Cincy. I was playing around with the stereo and decided to see if aux hook up would work with my HTC Incredible phone, low and behold it does. Phone media player is the Verizon CAST music.
Interesting though, found some differences with this method vs. using the CNET connection on the Clarion and curious why it would be different, come on stereo gurus, chime in.

My set up – Clarion CMD5 W/CNET, output to the WS420, 420 to the 2 amps, M600/6 (D) powers the 4 interiors and sub and the original M4500 powers the 4 towers. My gains have been all set up via JL’s voltage method. Running from a CD sound is great, from the Ipod/CNET connection; output levels seem just a bit lower. When I connected up via the aux on the WS420, the output volume is way higher. Clarion volume is set at about 80%, ¾ volume on the WS420 is max before clipping occurs. With the Aux set up to the phone, ½ or less volume on the 420 clipping occurs. I did not play a ton of songs and need to play with it a bit more and also try my Ipod, but curious why such a big difference. Media volume on the phone was at max. Also, my pre-amp gains on the 420 are pushed to about ¾ on the setting pods.

Thoughts…

OK, while I am at it, thinking of replacing theM 4500/4 with the JL MHD 750/1 for the towers, was doing some research, what is the best method for wiring the 4 JL tower speakers to the single channel amp? In Series, Parallel or would not think Series/Parallel would make sense.
Is the stereo in your boat NOT bluetooth compatible? I've got a Sony in my boat. Sunday I synced my Droid Bionic to the boat. Now I can play all the music on my phone, wirelessly, using the Bluetooth function. I can sit on the sandbar and control the stereo with my phone!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Is the stereo in your boat NOT bluetooth compatible? I've got a Sony in my boat. Sunday I synced my Droid Bionic to the boat. Now I can play all the music on my phone, wirelessly, using the Bluetooth function. I can sit on the sandbar and control the stereo with my phone!
Uhh... No unfortunately, Clarion CMD5, '09 boat built in '08, no blue tooth available. The CNET interface is nice (charges IPOD), but really a pain because you lose the IPOD direct functionality and have to unplug to switch songs or play list or use the 2 line GUI on the Clarion (Total Pain). For this reason we run mostly off of play list.

Still curious why the AUX input from the 420 provides much more gain than the CNET. I played with it a little this weekend, put the IPOD on the CNET and Droid on the AUX, played the same song simultaneously and adjusted the volume of the droid to match. 3/4 droid volume is about a match.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastb15 View Post
Well I'm pretty sure you're thinking correctly, just using different language. In the electronical world, "load" implies ohms. So a series/parallel will actually give you a bigger "load" producing a lower power output. A parallel circuit will have a lower "load" and greater power output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
MHD750 is 750x1 at 1.5-4 ohms, so series/parallel is the way to go

Those jl amps use some type of switching to put out the some amount of power at varying loads, so less load isn't going to give you more power in this case.
Thanks guys - Kinda makes sense. Here is a web site I found that explains it in some detail.
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm