Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-55, 2011, 6.0L
Swim Platform Removal

2011 X-55 with Teak platform. pulled pins and went to remove Sunday and both corners hit the lip on the boat. It seems the corners are much closer to the boat than the rest. Its a ~1/2" gap all the way across but the corners are ~ 1/4". Anyone had / seen problems with this? i put a piece of tape on the boat and tried to remove and there was no way it would clear. Calling dealership tomorrow but wondered if someone had this problem before.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Sounds like the dealer mounted it to close to the boat.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
That sounds pretty tight.
My swim decks have about a 3/4" gap to the transom. Enough to get your fingers between the platform and transom if removing it with one person.
Bad part is, to move it back, you only want to move it back 1/4 or 3/8" which is pretty close to the old holes. Not the end of the world, I'd fill the old holes with epoxy or some good wood filler that bonds well before drilling new holes, but on an '11 I'd expect a new platform since the risk of the new screws pulling out will be greater with the old holes so close. Especially with the beating that these big platforms take when waves hit the back of the boat (uplift).

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I'm surprised it's not a folding platform. I guess that was an option?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Not "wood filler" but Teak Plugs. IF, you have to move the brackets, drill the screw holes and epoxy in Teak plugs. But as someone has already said, your dealership should do this fix. You had better make sure they do it right too.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
I would recommend your dealer replacing the platform as mentioned above. Tell the dealer that is this clearly a discovered deficiency that should be covered under warranty.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-55, 2011, 6.0L
Thanks for the tips. They just delivered it Friday and i discovered the issue when going to put in garage Sunday so I doubt there will be a problem getting a new one. With the platform i have 1/4" front and back but is an extreme pain getting it in sideways enough to clear (regardless i need off when i go to clean it). one reason is how close it is, the other is you cant swing the tongue over by pushing due to the tandem axles not being very forgiving. using my truck i bet i got out 100 times to see how close i was. Without platform i can use our 3 person tube and back up till i see it move and i know i am good + can walk around the front with door closed. Someone mention folding platform. it is an option but wasnt on this one. we found it as a left over 2011.

Took me 2 hours to get it in but much was being over cautious and thinking some stuff through - tower is ~96" and my garage is 96". I had some not so smart ideas (like reversing my drop receiver so it was a ~4" rise, worked great till i tried to get off the ball and ran out of jack!). I still had a couple feet to go and was gonna push the rest of the way since the front of the boat was now too high once in (windshield clearance under A/C ducts). didnt want to set jack on 2x6s and roll off that and all i had was a cheesy Duralast floor jack etc... etc... etc... i had measured everything before we wrote the check but still ran into unexpected hurdles. when i got half way and realized the platform wouldnt come off i was almost sick! It was the first time attempting parking in garage. now that i know what i need to do, i can probably have it in garage in about 5-10 minutes once platform is fixed.

All in all it was still a great weekend. got to put about 5 hours on it and had great weather. I dont think i will be disappointed with the 6.0L. we'll see once i get a boat load and start pulling someone up but with full ballast it seemed like it would be more than enough. Where it seems lacking is after ~25mph but i dont have anything to compare to since i havent been in one with a 6.2 or bigger. GPH is unknown, i will top it off when i go back this weekend, i should get an idea of fuel use. Rides great, love the layout. Kids will love the stereo, its very loud. Gonna be a great summer!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Your boat sounds nice! Wow, an X-55 in a garage......must be a deep garage!

Sounds like you should consider installing the folding platform hardware, that would make things much easier for you.

Any pics of your boat?