Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 11:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Should I sell?-

So this might get a bit long and ultimately not have a definite answer but I am interested in your thoughts.

I have been going back and forth on whether or not to sell our 2000 Maristar 210

Why to sell:
Kids are out of house and it doesn't get used as much
no one in the family wakeboards anymore
While boat has full cover with skirts it is stored outside during summer and my MCOCD has troubles with that
Tow vehicle is in need of being replaced and I'm having a hard time justifying spending more $$. Tahoe is rusting out, needs a different set of tread, and is generally tired.
Boat is still in excellent condition but as she gets older general wear will also have a negative affect on my MCOCD
I prefer to ski and usually find myself in and behind friend's 1999 Malibu LX
No boat, no boating expenses would free up money.

Why not to sell
I like the freedom of choosing when I go boating
We take an extended family vacation every other year, sometimes annually to a lake resort
Surfing has been a nice change of pace
I'm not sure I am ready to go through the emotions of not owning a boat
We try to use boat as a means to take others out who are afforded the chance. Difficult to coordinate schedules with weather, however.

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
you can rent a boat if needed for the time you use it on a vacation... times change phases of life move priorities change as well...

Sounds like you are ready to move to the next thing... maybe ATVing, motorcycle? hang gliding,

I would sit on it till spring though you will get more interest and a bit better price...

if less than 10 hours a year and it is a pain to coordinate well you already made the decision we can all agree to agree to that ;o)(((
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Only sell if you plan to upgrade.

IMO, the best day of a boat owner's life is when this happens.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I'm slowly approaching your position and have 2 in college, 1 left in the house. Add to that, the boat is in Idaho now and more difficult to access.

However, having a boat to foster family time is very important. They will always come back and having a boat as an option for family time is great to have, provided you can afford it.

I was talking with my mom a few months ago and she gave me some of her thoughts. Living on the lake, she had a boat. Nothing fancy but at least a SeaRay. Now, she contemplates selling it because she doesn't really use it, and quite honestly, hadn't even driven it in years. But after talking with her siblings, they said the boat isn't really for her....it's for the kids. It really was never for her but for the use of the kids whenever they came out. Having a lake place and no boat to use really does limit the whole vacation time when they return.

Having it sit for long periods of no use is a concern though. I just experienced this, this summer. Boat left in water all summer long and the last month, no one really looked at it. Come to find out a cleat broke in the storm and now I have fiberglass repair. And to add, the amount of moss/brown buildup was pretty bad. This was the most neglect I've every had on the boat and it did not feel good. I don't know what I'm going to do yet for next summer but it's a concern. I may just pull the boat out when I'm not there.

So, if you feel like a ski type boat rather than a wakeboarding, then maybe try and find a similar cost boat for a pretty straight across trade. At least you then have a better skier boat, but also a boat for the kids to use when they come home.

Just my thoughts....

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-08-2016, 12:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
I'd sell it, I debated a similar decision for over a year. One of the best things I did, made us really appreciate what we had. So less than a year later we bought another one.

But this time around everyone wants to use it lots more.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-35, 2008, LY6 Closed Cooled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaprlud View Post
I'd sell it, I debated a similar decision for over a year. One of the best things I did, made us really appreciate what we had. So less than a year later we bought another one.

But this time around everyone wants to use it lots more.
^^I love it! 3 yrs ago we went through all of July without using the boat we had (not an inboard). I had a fit and put it up for sale. Sold in three days. All of a sudden no boat. Bought our MC that winter, definitely re-invigorated our boating.

If you aren't using it, I think you should sell it too. Get it into the hands of someone who will. Doesn't mean another one isn't in the cards later.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Looking for an SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambier View Post
^^I love it! 3 yrs ago we went through all of July without using the boat we had (not an inboard). I had a fit and put it up for sale. Sold in three days. All of a sudden no boat. Bought our MC that winter, definitely re-invigorated our boating.

If you aren't using it, I think you should sell it too. Get it into the hands of someone who will. Doesn't mean another one isn't in the cards later.
I think this is good advice but I also think Curver had a good point to hold onto it through winter to get a better price (unless there's storage costs that negate the higher sale price later). Also, your thought process may change in that time and you'll be glad you held onto it. Or not, and you sell. Gambier said, doesn't mean there isn't out there for the later.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I have lived through and always heard, never sell one until you have a replacement in the wings. It took me about 9 years to get back into a boat.

That said, are you free skiing or on a course? my 225 doesn't throw a terrible wake at slalom speeds when unloaded, I would have thought the 210 would have been even better.

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be. - me

RIP No1
Old 09-08-2016, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV
I think I know someone looking for that boat so if you sell, pm me.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
210 has an okay wake. But when you ski the Malibu it's hard to get behind the Maristar with a slalom. I should add that we still put 50 hrs on boat this summer. Much of that was during week vacation and due to the fact our son was home from college. Next year I suspect he won't be. If I sell it would be in Spring