Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Prostar
Towing question - 1986 190 Prostar

Hi All,

1st post here, looks like a great community!! :-)

I bought a 1986 MasterCraft 190 Prostar last fall, and the original trailer came with it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to tow it, and have browsed and searched the forums here for info to make sure I'm not one of those types who asks a question which has alredy been answered many times over -- Anyhow, I didn't have any luck, so here goes:

I want to tow this boat using this trailer using a 2013 Kia Sorento SX (V6, non-AWD). Based on my interpretation of available documentation, the towing capacity for this vehicle is 3,500 lbs, and the weight of my boat plus trailer is less than that by a bit. In general I get the sense that I should be good to go from a *pulling* perspective, but the only issue might be braking. In general when talking about a boat of this size and a vehicle with these specs I've seen some say no additional trailer braking should be needed, some recommend surge brakes, some specifically recommend *against* surge brakes due to difficulty loading/unloading, and some recommend electric brakes.

So I'm wondering, based on the experiences of some fellow 80's (and thereabouts) MasterCraft owners, how do you pull your boat, do you use / did you add trailer braking, and in general any pointers or things to look out for when attempting to tow with this setup?

Thanks many times in advance, and again great forum!

Chris
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
IMO, this is only a question only you can answer. How comfortable are you knowing that if you had to stop in an emergency, your stopping distance will now be 2-3 times farther.

I had an '86 Skier as well, and I looked into adding brakes. At the time, I didn't have spare cash and more importantly, my boat stayed on a lift most of the time. The trailer may be able to accept a brake package...if there is a small square plate welded to the axel behind the wheel hub, with pre-drilled holes, adding brakes wouldn't be difficult.

It was common to see older, lighter boats not having brakes on the trailers. That being said, you're towing with a rather modest vehicle, with light duty brakes. If you plan to tow often, my recommendation would be to add surge brakes. They aren't expensive, your trailer is likely ready to accept them, and given your tow vehicle, it would be a nice peace of mind. If you were towing with an F-250, I would say deal without and be careful.

For $450 you can add brakes...that is probably less than your deductible for the time some a$$ cuts you off (it will happen) because you are trying to be safe and leave plenty of distance.

Lots of trailer places to buy from. Champion trailer parts, Redneck trailer parts, etrailer, etc.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I've never added brakes to my trailer, and tow it a fair bit. Take your time and leave plenty of room. That said, you're one panic stop from the possibility of serious trouble. I've seen plenty of problems involving trailers with and without brakes. When in doubt pony up and consider it an investment in your family's safety.
That's my $0.02, other will likely weigh in with a variety of opinions.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Also, welcome to the MasterCraft family. For best results with forum members please post pics of the boat asap. :-)
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X-15
There is nothing good that can be said about towing that load with that little vehicle. It was not designed to tow like that. Two blocks to the launch ramp, ok. Out on the road, no. More dangerous than you know.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
TT Newbie

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

Per madcityskier's request, pic just above (hopefully). :-)

Dave911rsr, do you mean even with a brake package, or just in general?

Thanks again!
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
TT Newbie

A slightly farther away pic in her natural habitat (the blue things onboard are floaties). :-)

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Nice boat and welcome. I'd just go for it the way it is. Be careful take it slow. Dont let anyone on the road or at the ramp rush you.

BTW let's see some interior pics of this 86'

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicflint View Post
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
TT Newbie

Thx, Covi. Interior is original, so not very flattering after 30yrs even though fairly well maintained. Actually probably doing all new upholstery within the next couple of months. Maybe pics after? :-)