Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 08:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 XStar
Motor dies when idling down to neutral

I have the 8.1 in my Xstar... When I am idling back down after pulling a rider, surfer or coming into the no wake zone it will stall out and die. If I am really easy with it, it will not but you have to really baby it. Reverse to neutral no issues... And it doesn't necessarily do it all the time just after its been under a load. Any ideas???
Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14v
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
This could be such a wide variety of things. Idle stalling problems are almost always air/fuel-related. Since yours isn't carbureted, I would perhaps start with things like low pressure from fuel pump, bad fuel filter, or bad gas. If yours is EFI (2004?) then it could also be a dirty throttle body or a distributor cap.

Many of these things are cheap and easy to replace/fix with a simple tune up, and I'd start there first personally. There are several mechanics on this site that are much better than me, but I have chased this gremlin down a few times before. Loss of spark may also cause this issue, so fouled plugs are something to check as well.

If you have the time, I'd grab some plugs, fuel filter, distributor cap, and a can of Seafoam to start, and see where that gets you. It's possible that idle is just set wrong, but if it dies after being ran instead of having issues when cold, then I would start with above.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Center Hill, Norris, & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 07-03-2016, 05:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Sounds like spark issues to me. I'd start at the cap and rotor first, then on to plugs and wires if needed.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Boat: 06 X30
04 so MEFI4, I would start by pulling codes. Rinda makes a cheap code reader, a codemate for $50 bucks.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, x45, 2012,
I had this same issue on my 05 with the 8.1. I changed out the tps and it helped but didn't totally fix the issue. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a part (can't recall name) behind the throttle which "sends" the location of the throttle back to the tps on the throttle body. That solved the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2016, 06:39 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by u bet shes wet View Post
I had this same issue on my 05 with the 8.1. I changed out the tps and it helped but didn't totally fix the issue. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a part (can't recall name) behind the throttle which "sends" the location of the throttle back to the tps on the throttle body. That solved the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's called the peddle position sensor PPS.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

I cleaned the throttle the throttle body butterfly with gumout carb cleaner. I also ran some chevron fuel injector cleaner through it. The problem has went from happening all the time after the engine is warm to only occasionally now... Like once or twice after the engine has been ran a long time. Any ideas?? Thanks for all the input!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:39 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
check the coolant temp sensor - also check idle air control to see if it's clean - it lets air in when throttle plate closed
Old 07-24-2016, 01:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar 205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
check the coolant temp sensor - also check idle air control to see if it's clean - it lets air in when throttle plate closed
Yes, locate your idle air control. Remove it and check that it's clean. I just had issues at idle and this was the problem. The pintle or "tip" was really dirty. I cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner and reinstalled and the problem went away immediately. I have a few hours on the boat since and no issues.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC FEVER View Post
Yes, locate your idle air control. Remove it and check that it's clean. I just had issues at idle and this was the problem. The pintle or "tip" was really dirty. I cleaned mine with throttle body cleaner and reinstalled and the problem went away immediately. I have a few hours on the boat since and no issues.
What tools are needed to remove it... If any.. Thanks!