Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft 190
30th anniversary prostar....

Hi guys.

I just wondered if anyone could give me some info on the 30th anniversary prostar. Im hoping to go and look at 1 next week but know very little about them.

I currently have a 91 prostar which I love but I saw a 30th anniversary on holiday and was hooked on it!!! The 1 im looking at is fair distance from my house and I dont want a wasted journey. I would like to know your thoughts on the lt1 engine, the gearbox, also some pictures of standard boats and interiors would be great.

I always wanted a sammy duval prostar with silver metalflake until I saw this! The boat im hoping to view has around 500 hours and is a 1 owner boat on a mastercraft trailer. What do I need to be looking for? Is there anything different to check with this engine/transmission?

Cheers in advance. Gaz.

Last edited by gaz46; 08-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
The 1998 Prostar was a short-lived, and widely debated model. It lived from 1998-2000 I believe, and this is the model that at times was said to have chine lock, which meant at certain speeds the boat responded poorly to turning.

This was later patched with a bolt-on hull attachment on the rear hull of the boat. I believe it was also one of the boats that used a "T" rudder design, which was meant to lift the back of the boat a bit, but made for difficult turning.

The mechanics of the boat were very solid. The LT1 engine had been around for quite a while and was a very good engine.

I started with "debated" because some really love the boat. I suspect much of the criticism came from those who didn't actually own the boat. We've heard from many who really like the boat.

Others will be along soon to give you feedback. I'm generally not a fan of first year models, and this was one that seemingly never overcame initial rough feedback. But, if you like it, and the price is in budget, the only opinion that matters is yours.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 ProStar S&S
If your main activity is slalom and you like the wake behind your 91, you will certainly not like the wake behind the 98. Nice looking boat, for sure, but just depends on how you're planning to use it.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
LT1 a very good engine. replacement parts readily available and many owners here with the LT1.

The chine lock has been highly debated here - however the stabilizer on rudder a must - should already be there. Captain Planet has the very boat you are looking at is very pleased with it - based on his posts.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Wake behind the 98 is very good for slalom. May not be the same as a 91, but still very ski-able. In my opinion, the wake is better than the newer Prostars (I have skied both).
As far as the fabled "chine lock", I have not experienced it and I doubt anybody on this site has. I have the LT1 and Powerslot, and love the combination. By far the most potent boat I have been behind (to date). My son wakeboards and seems to do an O.K. job, but he would rather have the big wake and bling (cause he's not paying for it). But he doesn't complain.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft 190
Thanks for the input guys.

I've called the seller and requested some more pictures of the rudder, prop, tracking fins and of any damage to the hull. The guy sounds genuine and is selling up due to his age.

I currently use my boat for a variety of things, tubing, wakeboarding, mono skiing kneeboarding etc. My kids are young, 5 and almost 2 and I need something that will do all of these, I guess my worry is getting buyers remorse!!!