Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Mirror location, starboard or port?

This is dumb, but bear with me...

On my boat, on all of my friend's ski boats (closed bow notwithstanding), and all of the other ski boats I have ever seen the mirror is always mounted on the starboard side. I hadn't ever put any serious thought into it...it's just the way I've always seen them.

So I'm pulling out of slip last Saturday, and I let this gorgeous X-15 (I think) have the right of way...because I wanted to admire it through the no wake zone. I get to looking at it, and I realize his mirror is on the wrong (port) side. Weird... Then I stand up to take a look around at the end of the no wake zone before I punch it and abruptly smack my head on my starboard mounted mirror, lol.

Is there some sort of obscure nautical rule that I am unaware of as to the location of mirrors? Cause that guy is a genius, and I'm moving mine to port side. I hate that thing right in my face whenever I stand up to take a peak around...

Am I crazy... I been sitting in my boat for about 15 minutes with the mirror mounted port...and I'm unsure as to why this isn't the "norm"?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X30 6.2
Can the mirror be mounted Port side with the windshield open?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I always thought is was on the starboard side so you could see a skier on that side outside the wake. On the port side, it is easier to turn your head or swivel and see them. For just seeing straight back, I don't guess it would matter. I have a closed bow so the mirror is in the middle
Old 06-30-2015, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Depending on how far forward on the port side it is, and how far to the port it is, some significant head turning might be required to see it. Also, the farther away the mirror is, the smaller the things in the mirror are. Also, someone sitting in the observer seat can obstruct view.

On my 190, the mirror isn't center mounted but biased towards the starboard side.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallnut21 View Post
Can the mirror be mounted Port side with the windshield open?
I should specify...tower mounted mirrors.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
Depending on how far forward on the port side it is, and how far to the port it is, some significant head turning might be required to see it. Also, the farther away the mirror is, the smaller the things in the mirror are. Also, someone sitting in the observer seat can obstruct view.

On my 190, the mirror isn't center mounted but biased towards the starboard side.
This. Shortest distance for the eyes to travel from water in front of the bow (priority) to glance at athlete and all aft in the mirror (second priority). Automobiles are trying to shorten the eyeball distance by moving the aft view from the center windshield mounted RVM to heads up displays.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
This. Shortest distance for the eyes to travel from water in front of the bow (priority) to glance at athlete and all aft in the mirror (second priority). Automobiles are trying to shorten the eyeball distance by moving the aft view from the center windshield mounted RVM to heads up displays.
Total agreement.

That said, every situation is different I guess. My bow normally rides pretty high as we primarily wake surf these days. So I am on my feet more often than not looking forward, making the mirror, in it's standard position, more of a hindrance (to my face, lol) then a help.

I guess it all depends on how you use the boat. Ideally you would always have a spotter paying attention, but with my crew (or lack thereof on some occasions) those duties fall on the captain's shoulders most of the time.

I'm going to give it a run on the port side this weekend. If it fails, its two minutes with an Allen wrench to correct. I think for a crew that surfs more than anything, looking left at the mirror is better than using no mirror at all and/or having it right in your face all day.

We'll see!