Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Vehicle GPS Information Needed...

since 2008, I've used a Nextar X3-03 (Company out of business I think)

I prefer this one due to the simple user interface (30 second address input), and have gone through several...

At ebay, I can buy them used for $25.00 - $50.00 range

The batteries are JUNK, but they work very well just plugged into cigarette lighter.
I've gone through 4 of them since 2008, shipped one back to manufacturer, and they sent me an upgraded model that I hate, and gave it away.
Now, this last one has crapped out (always black screen)
So, I got on ebay and bid on a couple more. But, they're used and I know how they'll end up.

I need a ROCK SOLID GPS for work. I use an Iphone 4S (jailbroken) and their GPS mapping is JUNK!!!! Absolute total JUNK!!! (you'd think they'd implement their gyroscope in their GPS, but noooooo)
I had a customer that used a Droid with "Google Maps Navigation" app installed... nothing short of an amazing app!
Turn by turn voice directions, and when you get close to location.... it gives you a Google Street View of the house or business!
But, it's for Droid format only.

Does anyone know of a ROCK SOLID GPS, that's easy to use? I can't spend 10 minutes trying to get an address input!
I don't care much for TomTom's software
Garmin has so many models out there, I'd hate to have to "buy & try"
Like I said, I use it for work, and time is money!

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
my $89 TOMTOM - works great... a year old now... got it from sam's club...cheap reliable and works for me...even have an android...but tomtom much easier to use..
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
We have several of the Garmins and love them. The new one we have is a NUVI 1450 LMT with the lifetime maps and traffic (indicated by LMT in the model). We don't use the traffic but it does show pictures of exits and ramps and tells you which lane to be in. That is really helpful when driving through an unfamiliar city. Can use voice instruction to enter address but you don't need to. Takes less than 30 seconds because as you enter it populates based on available addresses.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '07 X-STAR
I just got this one and I really like it. Very easy to use but it's pricey.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401&pID=97509
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I use Google maps application on my blackberry ... (I would have thought they would have an ap for an iphone too???). merely did a internet search for "google maps" from my device ... http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/
Old 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Any of the garmin nuvi's are awesome. Go to best buy and play around with them and figure out which one fits the bill.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
I use Google maps application on my blackberry ... (I would have thought they would have an ap for an iphone too???). merely did a internet search for "google maps" from my device ... http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/
Google Maps and Google Maps Navigation are 2 different animals.

Droid Google Maps Navigation on Youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY

I've got the standard map software that the iPhone 4S came with, then downloaded the Google Maps a long time ago from the link you posted... neither one of them are user friendly and will not orientate themselves if you make a turn....

example:
looking for house on Maple Street.
I'm driving forward, the iPhone shows I'm driving upward, everything's good... I make a right hand turn, now it shows I'm driving from left to right on the screen.... make another right, now I'm driving down the screen... So, Do I turn right or left on Maple Street?

well, apparently in my absence, Mastercraft made it to where we cannot post links to youtube
go to the youtube link I posted above and just remove http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/ part from the address bar

Last edited by milkmania; 03-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM
MC Platinum

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY

Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
ah ha!

My wife & kids all have various different models of Garmin Nuvi's that seem to work like a charm and are easy to comprehend. My wife's Nuvi is an older one (~7 years) and doesn't have some of the latest features (like speed limit zone changes) and is a bit smaller screen but works very well (if you pay attention to speed limit signs ). We bought the lifetime update on maps and occasionally will hook up to a computer to update if we are going on a trip to a new location. Works off either battery & 12v cig lighter adapter and very versatile mounting with pretty decent suction cup (easy to stick & remove from windshield or very smooth surface dash). I do not recall what the model number (maybe Nuvi 350? Discontinued now) of it, but was top of the line back in the ’04-’05 time frame when purchased. It’s been all over the USA including suitcase time with the only issue was a broken cig adapter (end popped off, at a very inopportune time trying to find an airport in NC) and replacing the suction cup a time or two. Can change the vehicle picture and voice accent… Both my son & daughter have much newer models that are wider screen with speed zone changes (probably have other new features too?). We have been very pleased with all of these and could possibly find used fairly inexpensive too for the older models.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY (for some reason both of those you posted took me to some MC page with an error).