Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Stalking Next
Narrow Garage

Anyone ever modify their trailer to fit in a narrow garage. I miss by only about 2 inches. I was wondering if there are narrow trailer rims wheels and removable fenders... probably no chance, but thought it worth asking in case.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
so what did you end up buying?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
I would modify the garage over the trailer.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 & 1989 TriStar 190
That's why they call you spooky
Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I don't see why what you're suggesting wouldn't work if all you need to gain is 2" of clearance. You're probably going to need some different rims with more backspacing (Not necessarily any narrower). That will bring the center lines of the tires closer together. Remove fenders, modify or grind off brackets, install some narrower metal fenders from the aftermarket (You will likely need to fab up some brackets). When you shop for narrower series tires make sure they still have a sufficient load rating.

The problem I see is being that precise with your backing. If you can reduce the width by 2" will that mean that it will fit with 0" of clearance on each side? Or would it technically fit at the moment but you just need a bit of wiggle room? Once you get past the door I assume you have more clearance, right? Is this a tandem trailer or single axle? With a single axle it may be doable but with a tandem you really can't make small adjustments and if you're off by a degree or two you'll have to pull out and start over.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Also, OEM MasterCraft fenders seem to be a hot item. So, you could likely offset the cost of your new fenders and bracket fabrication with the resale of those.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
On and old boat and old garage I had a similar issue. I made a horizontal cut on the door jams and trim about 36" up from the pad. I took out the nails and replaced with a couples screws. When I wanted to take out or put the boat in the garage, I just unscrewed the lower jam section and it was enough room to slear the fender interference. The rough opening is usually 2"-4" wider than the finished opening. It was a bit of a pain but it worked and was cheap. This also depends on your garage contruction.
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
so what did you end up buying?
Nothing yet, but seems that almost all trailers are about the same width. Axles widths are pretty standard I guess. I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as the right boat crosses my path though.

Last edited by asmodeus2112; 03-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
I don't see why what you're suggesting wouldn't work if all you need to gain is 2" of clearance. You're probably going to need some different rims with more backspacing (Not necessarily any narrower). That will bring the center lines of the tires closer together. Remove fenders, modify or grind off brackets, install some narrower metal fenders from the aftermarket (You will likely need to fab up some brackets). When you shop for narrower series tires make sure they still have a sufficient load rating.

The problem I see is being that precise with your backing. If you can reduce the width by 2" will that mean that it will fit with 0" of clearance on each side? Or would it technically fit at the moment but you just need a bit of wiggle room? Once you get past the door I assume you have more clearance, right? Is this a tandem trailer or single axle? With a single axle it may be doable but with a tandem you really can't make small adjustments and if you're off by a degree or two you'll have to pull out and start over.
I'm an ace when it comes to backing, I'm leaving .125" on each side for clearance. J/k, I'm thinking that I'll need an extra two or so inches more than what I have to reasonably consider backing it in.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Also, OEM MasterCraft fenders seem to be a hot item. So, you could likely offset the cost of your new fenders and bracket fabrication with the resale of those.
Good point!