Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Sportstar, Open Bow, ND Tower, 310 Predator
Carpet Cleaning

I need to do a thorough cleaning of the carpet in my boat. Anyone have any tips for how to get it looking fresh and new? I was thinking just hose it down and then scrub it with a soft plastic brush and soapy water. I am sure you guys doing these resto projects have some ideas. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
TT Newbie

By the way the carpet is in great shape. Doesnt need to be replaced. Just cleaned.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Pressure wash at a coin operated car wash then extract most of the water with a wet/dry shop vac.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Pressure wash at a coin operated car wash then extract most of the water with a wet/dry shop vac.
x2. I usually throw some carpet cleaner in the mix, scrub the bad areas with a soft brissle brush, and let it clean the bilge area while its at it but for 2 bucks you are so fresh and clean. Try to let it sit in direct sunlight for a bit before you hop in. No matter how clean you think you are you'll track crap into that wet carpet
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: looking to buy
Since getting all hard wood flooring in my home, I had been tempted to garage sale my very expensive carpet/steamer. I just use that with the some liquid cleaner dumped in and you won't believe the color of the water in the cleaner after using it on the boat
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
I use a Bissell Little Green cleaner on my carpets. It works great and is easy to get into all of the little nooks and crannies. Someone on here suggested it to me a few years back and I have been very happy with it.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Bucket of warm water and some regular Tide (no bleach). Work it into the carpet with a soft brush, then hose it into the bilge with high pressure attachment. Shop vac to dry and follow up with some sunshine.

Extra step is to work some fabric softener and water into the carpet after cleaning and rinsing, but before drying. Let it sit an hour or so. Then, rinse. Then dry. Fluffs it up a bit.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks guys. I will give these a try. I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
I will send before and after pics in a few weeks. I will be doing the same thing, cleaning carpets. My plan is this. Tide, fabric softener and a scrub brush after soaking the carpet. Then my shop vac instead though to get moisture out. Lastly, Stainguard. I hate to see the carpet under my engine lid fluffier than the rest...drives me crazy!!! I'll then ba able to use my green machine for monthly touch ups...man that water comes out brown every time I use it.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 LT-1/Powerslot
I'm looking forward to doing this once it warms up here a little.