Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
If they release the old Xstar hull, will it be called the X-xstar or Ex-xstar?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
They have shipped some X-1s over seas for them to develop the electric boat along with put whatever motor they want to. They no longer have a relationship with Indmar so the boat cannot be shipped with a motor either way. That is the only place they are going.

On a side note, many people say that they can't believe they are no longer building that boat but in reality no one bought it. If all these people actually went into the dealer and ordered one or bought one the fate would not be where it is today. Saying and doing are completely different and most that say, on the X-1 do not DO.

The other point is that with the way that boat priced out, for about $6k more you had an X-2.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhodges21 View Post
Someone had said that they continued to make the X1 because it was a cheaper boat that people would pay for to have the new warranty. The way I figure is they have made a lot of money on their 03-11 X star hull, so I just thought that maybe they might do the same thing with it. Sell yesterday's technology with a warranty so its a less expensive quality boat that everyone ie buyer, company, dealer can be happy that a transaction has taken place. Isn't that basically what the Moomba is?
There would be no point to continue the use of the 03-011 mold IMO. It only did one thing well and they are replacing it with one that does that better. To continue to build it would be to have: 1. The best wakeboard wake available in any boat that doesn't
T do anything else well, and 2. The second best wakeboard wake available in a boat that doesn't do anything else well. And put that in a lineup that has an x25 and new x30 that have incredible boarding wakes along with great surf wakes. Bottom line - if the new Star is all its supposed to be - then the old star goes away forever. I think....

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Matercraft Prostar 190 1991 351
I still can't believe that MasterCraft would even consider discontinuing the 03-11 x star. One of the most popular, legit, king of all wakeboats discontinued? Thats just stupid. They should keep this hull in production re-named. Like someone said above the EX-Star. I completely get making a bigger better X-Star, but come on.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 prostar 205v
I guess I have mixed emotions abou the elimination of the x1. Its basiclly the same boat as my 99' 205v, so they have been making it a long time. there doesnt seem to be many used ones on the market compared to the numbers that must have been produced in that period. I'm including all 205v x-star, x2, x1 etc. v drive configurations of course. I have always heard that it was the best selling, best all around, and most sought after mastercraft ever made. I see way more of the newer pickle forks for sale even though there are fewer of those boats in existence. (based on assumption not documented facts) so evidently poeple who have them are hanging on to them. But then when you look at the x-1 alongside the newer MC boats it is ultra conservative (like me). It looks almost like it was made by a different manufacturer. they are even changing the logos. If i ever trade up, it will be for a nicer version of what I already have. It won't be for a pickle fork hull with skulls on the sides.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG View Post
I still can't believe that MasterCraft would even consider discontinuing the 03-11 x star. One of the most popular, legit, king of all wakeboats discontinued? Thats just stupid. They should keep this hull in production re-named. Like someone said above the EX-Star. I completely get making a bigger better X-Star, but come on.
What you are proposing would be shooting themselves...in both feet.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukowh View Post
I guess I have mixed emotions abou the elimination of the x1. Its basiclly the same boat as my 99' 205v, so they have been making it a long time. there doesnt seem to be many used ones on the market compared to the numbers that must have been produced in that period. I'm including all 205v x-star, x2, x1 etc. v drive configurations of course. I have always heard that it was the best selling, best all around, and most sought after mastercraft ever made. I see way more of the newer pickle forks for sale even though there are fewer of those boats in existence. (based on assumption not documented facts) so evidently poeple who have them are hanging on to them. But then when you look at the x-1 alongside the newer MC boats it is ultra conservative (like me). It looks almost like it was made by a different manufacturer. they are even changing the logos. If i ever trade up, it will be for a nicer version of what I already have. It won't be for a pickle fork hull with skulls on the sides.
The Ilmor wouldn't fit without extensive modifications, they have already made back their money many times over on the tooling, and it was a very slow selling model in the last couple of years. It made no business sense to keep the boat in production.

As someone else pointed out if everyone that said the X-1 should have been kept and they would buy one...well if they had actually bought them the boat would not have been discontinued.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 prostar 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
The Ilmor wouldn't fit without extensive modifications, they have already made back their money many times over on the tooling, and it was a very slow selling model in the last couple of years. It made no business sense to keep the boat in production.

As someone else pointed out if everyone that said the X-1 should have been kept and they would buy one...well if they had actually bought them the boat would not have been discontinued.
I didn't say they should keep it. Just that it was once known as the top of the mark for a long long time. X1 sales were down of late because MC priced it higher than the market would bear. In down markets sometimes its better to cater to the high end where there is more disposable income unless your product is overpriced for what it is. I believe this is the case here. If the X1 were priced correctly it would be substantially cheaper than the new xstar and cost MC sales of higher priced, more profitable units. I understand why and I can assure you that I don't need a lecture about buisness sense, or for you to repeat what "somebody else already pointed out".
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Matercraft Prostar 190 1991 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
What you are proposing would be shooting themselves...in both feet.
I don't see how, and I know this is outside MC's business model, but how cool would it be if MC reintroduced the old hull with no frills, just all core bare bones wakeboat? I'd buy one definitely.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG View Post
I don't see how, and I know this is outside MC's business model, but how cool would it be if MC reintroduced the old hull with no frills, just all core bare bones wakeboat? I'd buy one definitely.
Waste of time for MC. If you want an X1 you can still find plenty of them on the secondary market. I love the 205V but it's not a modern wake boat. At 50k it would be a hard sell next to an A20 or other bare-bones offering.