Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2004 MCX
HLCD speaker for the 2004 tower speaker pods

I am finally replacing my stereo in my 2004 X-star and I am looking for some HLCD's to go in my tower speaker pods. I have the older style pods that accept 6.5" speakers. I am replacing the in boat speakers with Wetsounds XS-650 and was hoping to keep my speaker pods and replace the speakers with HLCD's. Wetsounds only sells HLCD's with pods so is there any other speakers that people are using in their tower? Does Wetsounds sell their HLCD's with out the speaker pods?

Heres a picture of the set up as it is.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
The only podless options I'm aware of are the Krypt and Kicker HLCDs. I have no experience with either but have been paying attention because I'd be interested in throwing some in my pods if the price was right.

Some people seem pretty happy with the Krypts and they can be had for under $200 per pair on eBay. Others say they're Chinese junk.

People seem pretty happy with the Kicker KM6500.2 HLCD component set but they require 4 pods as the tweeters take up a whole 6.5" pod. They can be had for $500 new or $280 refurbished.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
In this particular case, the Kicker HLCD is not an option because it is component style and requires four pods to house one set of speakers (two horns & two midbass). However, when you use the dual midbass version of this speaker (requiring six pods) it sounds pretty good.
Wetsounds is in the process of closing out their 6.5" HLCDs. Bullet HollowPoint already has discontinued their 6.5" HLCDs. Here is why. A 'horn loaded compression driver' pertains to a powerful prosound/theater/sound reinforcement type of tweeter. A smaller 6.5" midbass cannot keep pace with such a powerful horn tweeter. As a result all 6.5"s are overly bright without much midbass balance and no midbass extension. Tons of people who initially started with 6.5" HLCDs have learned and have eventually upgraded with larger replacements or supplemented these speakers with additional midbass drivers (Double-Up) or warmer surf speakers (Hybrid).
I would recommend that you start out by doing it right. Use nothing smaller than a 7.7" HLCD.
The Wetsounds REV8 uses an 8" HLCD in the same compact pod that the previous Pro60 used.
Yes, you will have to change out the pods but you will be totally satisfied for the long haul.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys guys. Earmark, so what you are saying is the 6.5 HLCDs are subpar on the mid bass and that is really all the short comings. I already have an aftermarket sub that gives me all the bass I need. I would really just like to add some sound while riding. Not looking for crazy loud, but able to hear what song is playing while 80 feet back.

Would this be possible by adding a 6.5 HLCD?

Right now my options are:
1) throw some XS-650's in and deal with it
2) Put in some HLCDs in the factory tower pods and be able to hear it while riding
3) Or sell my factory pods and run Rev 8's
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
The midbass David is referring to is what you hear from the tower speakers themselves. The sub won't help here. If you go with the 6.5's it will be way too bright, almost painful IMO. The midbass of the HLCD speakers helps balance the tweeter and tame it down. I'd agree that the only way to go is to sell your factory cans and run Rev8's or Bullets. I have Bullets and really like them. I have heard the Rev10's and they are great also. Make sure you are running plenty of power to either choice (Run the max the speaker is rated at, in RMS).
Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Cumberland,
I wasn't thinking in terms of true bass as no tower system in pods less than a 50 gallon drum and suspended in open air will produce deep bass. I was refering to midbass which is to capture enough of the lower midrange, vocals and upper bass harmonics to sound plausible as a stand alone speaker. Its kind of like a home theater satellite. You can't use just five tweeters and a sub.
Can a single pair of 6.5" HLCDs project at 80 feet in the face of wind and exhaust noise? Barely with just treble but its not musical and they are extremely strident to listen to near field.
My first choice would be a single pair of Wetsounds REV8s. They will project and yet are very musical and balanced for listening in or around the boat also.
My second choice would be to run a larger 7.7 or 8-inch surf speaker. It will not project with the same command as an 8-inch HLCD but it will compete in projection with a 6.5" HLCD and be far more enjoyable to listen to.
My third choice would be to install a pair of the Wetsounds XS-650 coaxials in the existing pods. A metal dome is aggressive enough to give you some projection and with a continous midbass cone you will be better off at the low end versus the raw 6.5" HLCD choices.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I just did the kickers and while its not wetsounds.......it ended up being roughly 1/4 of the price. I'll put my extra 700 in pabst and they'll sound the same after 3 or 4
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

I understand what you are saying about midbass, because I have noticed on some stereos that its really loud but harsh sounding.

At this point I am thinking about just putting some XS-650's in the tower and giving them a shot. I have a huge stereo on the houseboat so I don't need my boat to be crazy loud. I would like to hear music while riding, but to get decent sound back there it looks to cost $2,500+.

I will let you all know what I think about the decision once I install it and get some time on it.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Just get a set of used pro 80s and an amp to power them. You should be able to do that for $800 or so. Lots of people are upgrading to rev10s and selling pro80s. You could probably sell your factory tower cans and make some of that money back. There is no way you have to spend $2500 to get decent sound to the rider.

Last edited by JRW160; 03-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Cumberland,
No way does a substantial single pair of HLCDs with proper amplifier run $2500. Think in terms of roughly half of that getting you close to the best in sound quality with some reel authority at 80 feet.

David
Earmark Marine