Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Boatless
Replacing a ballast impeller

Anyone have any experience with changing a ballast impeller? I'm about 90% that is the reason why one of my pumps wont work. How long does it take to do this...?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:42 AM
mlittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteczen
Anyone have any experience with changing a ballast impeller? I'm about 90% that is the reason why one of my pumps wont work. How long does it take to do this...?
I'm not sure which boat you have. I have a X-30 (2001) and the pump cartridges are a snap to replace. Figure out which pump is the bad one and it is a simple twist to pop it out (be sure to unlock the locking tabs). The wiring is quick connect and the part number is listed on the cartridge itself. Do a google search by part number to find your internet replacement or you can pick it up at a local marine store for a few bucks more if you need it right away. I believe mine is a Mayfair 25882 (I have seven of them altogether 3x in/out and 1 in the bilge). I replaced three of them so far and keep an extra in the garage now. The last one I bought cost about $17.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2005, MCX 350,
Replaced one this weekend on an X-45. It was simple. I had to unscrew the pump unit from the back of the boat to get at the three screws on top of the pump. Take the old impeller out, pop the new one in (lubricate the new impeller for start up). I reused the gasket for the lid. Screwed it back on to the boat. If Mastercraft had mounted the unit 180 deg. I would not had to unscrew the unit from the boat.