Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X45
Smile Help and opinions needed with boat choice

Hey new to the forums. Was hoping to get some assistance from you all in narrowing down my decision of which boat to go with. First let me say that I grew up skiing, kneeboarding and wake boarding but have spent the majority of my post college years fishing vs boarding. Now that my kids are getting older they are wanting to spend more time with watersports vs fishing with dad, which is cool by me because I get to buy another boat. I'm currently looking at both mastercrafts and nautiques and definitely want to get something that we can take another family out with us on, so I'd prefer to stay in the 22' range. Should I be leaning towards an X45 or will the X25 suffice? I like the 45 alot just based on the amount of interior space but am looking forward to hearing opinions. Any input on particular years/motors is much appreciated. I've been impressed with the 8.1 based on some I've already looked at and driven. Thx a lot in advance for any input you can provide as I decide what to go with.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X15 2010
Hi,

I guess it all depends on what you are wanting to do. I would recommend the x25 as I love that machine. It has all the best features of all of the boats.

The new x30 is nice as well.

BP
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
X-45 would probably be a better choice if you're taking out another family with you. That extra room over the X-25 would be a good thing for 8-10 people, and the wake is great for boarding and surfing. Actually both wakes are great on both boats.

'06 and newer had less issues with upholstery so shop newer than 2005. 8.1 liter is a great motor, but so is the 6.0. I've heard the 8.1 may actually be better on fuel since it doesn't have to work as hard but other owners should comment on this as I just have the MCX in my star.

Happy shopping!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Wait - you said you wanted to stay in the 22 foot range but are looking at X45's? That's a completely different class of boat (well... X25 isn't 22 ft either).

From a reliability standpoint there are some that would shy away from the 8.1 because of issues they've had with it throwing rods. If your not going to be slamming it out, an X25 would do alright with the 5.7.

If I were just taking my family out, the 25 has plenty of space. if I were ALWAYS taking another fam with me, 45 would be a good option. Bigger boat = more work, more gas.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X45
Thanks for y'alls responses. I'm getting ready to put my order in for a 2012 X45 and I've narrowed my list of options and wanted to get everyone's take to make sure I'm not leaving anything off that is really, really essential. Here are the options I've decided on thus far:

1. Pro Package
2. 6.0 Ilmor
3. ZFT4 tower
4. Swivel Racks
5. Proview Standard Mirror
6. 2 speakers with forward facing lights
7. Transom remote
8. Cockpit heater
9. Bow filler cushion
10. Fiberglass platform
11. Surf Tabs
12. Transom rail w/step
13. Dome Light

Some of the things I've omitted that I just don't think we'll use are the following:

1. Tower camera
2. Underwater lights
3. Rear facing lights
4. Hot/cold shower
5. Cockpit table
6. Hydraulic steering
7. I omitted the 2 additional tower speakers because at 6'4" tall I don't like the prospects of taking my head off with the 2 inside speaker cans everytime I stand up.

Any additional input is much appreciated to make sure I get our new boat as dialed in as possible. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
One of the best accessories on my X-star is the shower. It's a real game changer in the cold weather up here in Jersey. Nothing like filling up your wetsuit with hot water before and after a session, not to mention warming up your hands and feet.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
cockpit table ? not expensive and very useful for food&drink time
and even if you don't use it a lot it doesn't take a lot of room in its storage
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
My biggest recommendation would be to put the 6.2l Ilmore in that X45. Other suggestions would be-

1-If you are only going to do 2 speakers, get wetsounds instead. You will not be happy with only 2 of the factory speakers. Even with 4, i find myself wanting a little more sound out of them sometimes. Plus, the wetsounds will save you some money for the 6.2l engine.

2-I think every MC should have a Teak platform Something about an inboard without a teak platform really turns me off...... But that is just personal preference. Plus, doing a teak platform will save you money for the 6.2l engine.

3-I never used my bow filler cushion after i switched to a picklefork boat. I found that, because they are so much wider, I had plenty of room to stretch out on both sides. Plus, skipping the filler cushion will give you more $$ for the 6.2l engine.

4-Did I mention that you REALLY should get at least the 6.2l in that X45? It will cost you more to start with, but will save you at the gas pump. I gets better fuel economy than the 6.0l, and is significantly more powerful.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 214 Prostar
Heated seats are a must!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Fourfourty nailed it. 6.2l, Wetsounds and teak.

The only other thing I would say is I've never seen surf tabs work that well, and I think you can achieve the same results just using water ballast. Now, if those are all about convenience then I understand, but I've seen absolutely amazing surf wakes without the use of tabs.

Would also save you money for that 6.2l...

Whatever anyone says keep the heater. Once you have it you'll never go back.