Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Installed new tower speakers from Exile on my mini tower

I finally pulled the trigger on some tower speakers. I was blown away by the sound quality! Big thanks to Brian and Rob from Exile! Great customer service!

Ever since we bought our '08 PS214 new in 2010, I have wanted to replace the tower speakers that the dealer sold off the tower before we picked it up (long story). I liked the look of the factory JL cans, but didn't want to invest $2000+ in just a pair of speakers.

I wanted a can/speaker that would mount to our mini tower's factory mounts. I looked into the Wetsounds, JL's, krypt, and many more. A buddy of mine with a Moomba recommended that I look at Exile's SXT65Q's. I did some research and really liked what I found. We didn't need to wake the dead at 80-100ft. I just wanted clean, full sound, at a decent db level behind the boat for swimming or rafting up with friends. These speakers fit the bill perfectly. They mount to the factory MC mounts with a very well made Exile adaptor. Brian and Rob @ Exile listened to what I wanted, and worked with me to get the right speakers and stay with in a budget that I could afford. I can't say enough about how the customer service Exile has. I bugged these guys for a week, sending emails and messages on their website. They never failed to answer a single question.

I ended up ordering a pair of SXT65Q's. These cans spin 360 degrees and have a quick release to drop them off the tower for storage. Our mini tower hangs pretty low, so we wanted to be able to remove them quickly if we needed more room on the boat. We could only mount one pair so that you could still walk through on the port side under the tower. I was concerned about only having two speakers, but these things sound amazing! I installed them with an Exile amp that was recommended. I went with an Exile 400.4 4 channel amp bridged. Brian said that it wasn't the optimum amp for these speakers, but would work and stay with in my budget. They sound great with this amp. I can't believe that these could sound much better with more power.

Let me know what you think. I know the 2 speakers mounted in the center look strange to you guys with full towers, but its the way MC mounts them on 197's/214's with mini towers. Sorry for the poor pic quality from my Iphone.

p.s. when the dealer sold the factory JL cans/speakers from the boat, he left the JL M2250 amp that was running them. I have it out if anyone is in need of it.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
They look nice! Love the look of the mini tower on those prostars!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
They look nice! Love the look of the mini tower on those prostars!
Thank you sir.

Ya we love the mini tower. It only hurts for a little while after you hit you head on it.lol
Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Hmmm, I am assuming I posted this in the wrong section? Sorry for that. Thanks for moving it I guess?......
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8/100 w/ Zero Flex Mini 2011 Black GMC Yukon XL 2011 Silver Chevy Silverado Z71 Canyon Lake, Lake Austin and Lak
Glad you posted. Going to hang speakers on my mini soon. I'd love to see more minis with speakers hanging. If the WS rev 410 fits, I'm leaning that way.
2005 Mastercraft Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8 of 100
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Why was my thread moved from "General Discusion; General discussion of MasterCraft boats and anything that relates to them", where there are 21000+ threads of all types, to an obscure sub catagory of "Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics;Find out how to keep your MasterCraft looking and running like new", where there are only 96 threads and had very little traffic compared to the general area? Did I post something that offended someone?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Looks like it was moved into Audio/Stereo. Move makes sense to me?!?!?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Nice!..........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts-20 View Post
Why was my thread moved from "General Discusion; General discussion of MasterCraft boats and anything that relates to them", where there are 21000+ threads of all types, to an obscure sub catagory of "Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics;Find out how to keep your MasterCraft looking and running like new", where there are only 96 threads and had very little traffic compared to the general area? Did I post something that offended someone?
The General Discussion forum was never meant for or intended to be used as a catch-all. The forums are pushed to MCs Facebook page via RSS feeds now. As such, post deal with installation, maintenance, upgrades or how tos will be moved from the General MC to category specific areas, which is what the mods were instructed to do.

Great looking install btw, I'm up in the air about adding a second set of XM7s to my 06.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Looks like it was moved into Audio/Stereo. Move makes sense to me?!?!?
Oops, my bad. Sorry, I didn't notice the "Audio". I just saw the Maintenance part.