Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1988, Ford 351 240hp
New Ski

Well I think itís time I got myself a new ski for the upcoming season. I'll be turning 20 just before the season starts and I figure this will be more of a permanent ski as I see myself keeping it for longer than any other I have owned (probably because itís going to fit me for a much longer time). I have owned Connelly skis and HO's before but I will admit I am a total novice to this.

I have started investigating prices and reviews on Overtons. I would consider my ability to be towards the professional end of recreational. Pointers, tips, help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1988 ProStar 190 red/gray
-Ford 351
-OJ 13x11 prop
-Kenwood Stereo

Need a manual go here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/
Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Will you be free riding or making time for turning buoys? Envious of your ability...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Presque Isle, WI makes you a packer fan eh! how can you say Chicago in your location...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1988, Ford 351 240hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Will you be free riding or making time for turning buoys? Envious of your ability...
Mostly if not all free riding, my ability just sounds cooler when you say it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Presque Isle, WI makes you a packer fan eh! how can you say Chicago in your location...
I need to change the Chicago location to say Grand Forks ND. Been up here for two years now for college, trust me its cold.

1988 ProStar 190 red/gray
-Ford 351
-OJ 13x11 prop
-Kenwood Stereo

Need a manual go here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM

If I had the ability I would make the leap to a ho syndicate...if you're going to turn buoys...I am a big Ho Fan...pricey but great ski...check www.waterskis.com or www.ski-it-again.com...

for my the level and goals my end ski will be http://hosports.com/WATER-SKIS/Men-s/Coefficient-X

Right now I ride a HO Comp free ride... it's not as response as I want it to be, but I went from beginner to intermediate last season...will be making adjustments on the ski this year to max out its positional. My goal is some kick as free ride slalom, the Coefficient is more than I will ever need. A number of skis in the Syndicate Class... go somewhere where you can try it, D3 and others in that class. I don't have the time or course to get to a Syndicate level...but I can get to more action than a HO Comp Free Ride which was a crap load of fun in 2011. I run double booted for easier deep water starts...just seems better for me. If budget is an issue - Coefficient in my opinion and a better binding.

Just my .02...

If your down in Chicago and have time - let me know... we can get out on the Illnois river and put get some time on the water.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Before you make any tests make sure physically ready...strong crore, developed ham strings, upper body, shoulders and fore arms. Get a dyna flex ball to juice up your grip chops. http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGAQ8gIwAg

great gadget to build grip and forearm... at 52 I need to keep all in great working order which includes strength and flexibility... get a bicycle to keep the legs used to pushing down...I ride 125 to 157 miles a week on a trainer...dropped 10 lbs and want to drop 10 more to 175. Less weight less stress on muscles. Goal this year 175 which means under weight for my Ho Free Ride... I may make some mods to the ski before end of season just for snick...ie. lots of surface are at the tail of ski and not enough adjustment for fin location...

We'll see I waited way too long to get back into the sport.

Don't know your goals but you may want to get a ski school involved like pine lake ski school in michigan...http://pinelakeskischool.com/home.html great bunch of people and lot's of knowledge...

mike
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
IMHO don't limit yourself to just these two brands. Though HO I hear is a very solid ski and hear rave reviews about them I've never ridden one. I too started out on a Connelly, Carbon Course to be exact when I first started skiing seriously and eventually went to 3 different models of the F1 then found D3 skis. Been on 3 of these as well from the X5, Nomad and now the Z7. Haven't ridden it in two years now since I broke my shoulder fall of 2010 and sold the boat. (yea yea I know stupid me) trying to save up some cash now so I can just pay cash for a boat in the next few years. Anyhow back to your dilemma for a new ski. If you have somewhere to test skis I would look at several brands from HO, Radar and D3. I love my D3 because it is very stable on the off side turns and doesn't get a lot of "chop" if you don't hit your turn just right. Been wanting to test a new Radar Strada too but haven't had the chance to get to Trophy Lakes to ride it just yet. Hopefully this summer. A lot to consider is do you plan on attempting the course? and how aggressive of a skier are you. when I first started skiing I was on a mid line ski and found that I "outgrew" it very fast and it couldn't keep me on the water. Just wouldn't hold an edge. This is when I upgraded to the Connelly Carbon Course then was introduced to Helena Kjellander at Skyview Lake and I've been hooked on the course ever since. Or should I say all down hill after this? ha ha

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Call Wiley's in Seattle. They've always made me a deal no one else could touch.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3skier View Post
IMHO don't limit yourself to just these two brands. . I love my D3 because it is very stable on the off side turns and doesn't get a lot of "chop" if you don't hit your turn just right.
x2

what is your budget? there are places that will offer demo programs so you can test out skis before you buy. if you go the used route, you can get more for your $

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
i would categorize myself in the category you defined although i wouldn't use the word 'professional' for myself. . i went with the Radar Theory last year and enjoy the ski very much! You could also consider the Radar Strada.

Last edited by LaRue; 02-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.