Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X45 6.2L
Weighting an X45 with plug and play

I am new to the mastercraft community, as we sold our Malibu this winter and recently purchased a new X45. We ordered it a few weeks ago and it is currently in the process of being built. With that being said I'm eager to get the boat and start using it. We ordered the boat with the plug and play ballast and I'm looking to order the bags that way we have them when the boat arrives.

My question is what is the best ballast options for the boat. If someone with experience could help me choose the right bags that would be great. I know the plug and play comes with three connections two in the back and one in the front. I was curious as what everyone else was using and how they have there plug and play set up. When we test drove the boat the guys told us to put two 750's in the rear and one in the middle walk way. I would prefer that the ballast be hidden so I was thinking about the two separate bags in the front but they said that we don't want to put two much weight in the front of the nose. So with all that I kind of need some help Thanks for the help in advance.

David
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 SAN 230
Been researching the same issue for the x25. This is what I've come up with. Cancel the pnp if you can. You lose functionality within the BIG system. Call wakemakers and order the piggy back kit. You will save a bundle and the wakemakers kit will keep all the functionality of the BIG system and works better than the pnp. It will also keep all the sacks stowed away with nothing on the deck. Either way I would call wakemakers and consult them.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Good next question is what engine did you order with the boat?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver14 View Post
Been researching the same issue for the x25. This is what I've come up with. Cancel the pnp if you can. You lose functionality within the BIG system. Call wakemakers and order the piggy back kit. You will save a bundle and the wakemakers kit will keep all the functionality of the BIG system and works better than the pnp. It will also keep all the sacks stowed away with nothing on the deck. Either way I would call wakemakers and consult them.
So what you come up with for the X25?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Diver14- I was going to call wakemakers tomorrow because I have been looking at there site but wanted to get first hand experience from people who own the boats with the pnp. I'm not too sure if we can cancel on the pnp since boat is in the process of being built. The dealer said that everything would still be functional with the new BIG system because they changed it for the 2012 models.

Willyt- we went with the 6.2. Before we got into wakeboats, the first boat that our family bought was an underpowered chaparral and since then we will never by a boat with small engine so we bit the bullet and got the 6.2 since this is a big boat and we have a growing family.

Does anyone know about the bag placement besides the two in the rear and what size works the best.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Does anyone know about the bag placement besides the two in the rear and what size works the best.
Sac in each rear locker and under each bow seat. Depending on the speed you like to ride, you will likely not need to fill the rear sacs completely.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 SAN 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
So what you come up with for the X25?
Im going to run the 6.2 engine with the piggy back system from wakemakers. For the x25 it puts 650 in each rear locker and 700 total in the front. That is not bag ratings thats actual weight. Its around $800 for bags hoses fitting etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave
Diver14- I was going to call wakemakers tomorrow because I have been looking at there site but wanted to get first hand experience from people who own the boats with the pnp. I'm not too sure if we can cancel on the pnp since boat is in the process of being built. The dealer said that everything would still be functional with the new BIG system because they changed it for the 2012 models.
Thats great news about the change in the new year models I just had not heard that. Despite that I think I personally would still change it if I had time. Its very expensive and it adds steps to fill the tanks and components that can fail. It adds additional switches that have to be switched after your factory fills and it also adds electronic ball valves that could potentially fail. I believe it also does not have a vent line and some have complained about the bags bursting or the fact that you have to remember that they are filling and make sure you turn it off before it fills all the way. I prefer to be able to just push the buttons and let them fill until I hear the water comming out the overflow line. Im sure you will love it either way. Just giving you some feedback.

Last edited by Diver14; 02-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
You might be able to install the Fly-High add-on ballast system for the X-star into your X-45.
See what Jason @ wakemakers says about that.

BTW, nice screen name! (I should have thought of that, seeing as I'm on my 4th MC)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Diver14- I had a good conversation with Jason at wakemakers this afternoon as he walked me through the system. We're gonna go with the X45 bags that they recommend for the boat. You are correct about the over flow line however he said its easy to t off the vent for the hard tanks and connect it to the bags and set it up like that for an overflow. Also the option is expensive however it is covered under warranty so if something goes wrong we don't have to fork up the money to fix it. Thank you a lot for the input it is greatly appreciated. Good luck with the x25( that 6.2 is gonna pull a house in that boat) that is a awesome boat we almost bought that boat as it was between that or the x45 but in the end we choose the 45 because our family is growing and we use the boat in Destin, Fl a lot so we needed something the handle the chop.

Jerseydave- I got lucky with the name I'm just glad you didnt snag it before I did.

I'm really excited to take delivery on the boat hopefully we will have it in march sometime. This is our first mastercraft that we have owned and I look forward to the switch from three malibu's.