Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Talking 1984 Stars & Stripes 440 Big Block Questions

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first MasterCraft - a 1984 Stars & Stripes with the 440 Big Block. The boat has a professionally rebuilt velvet drive, 1300 hours, completely re-done interior (dash, carpet, seats, stereo, etc... it is flawless), blue and white gel coat (in fair condition).

My biggest concerns are the velvet drive, price, and the costs involved with owning a 440 big block. Ballpark, what is a fair price for a SS configured this way? I really have no idea what would be reasonable for this. Is there anything in particular I should look out for/be aware of when going to look at the 440? Are there any common 440 problems, failures, and the overall reliability of the big bock??

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated! I hope to join the MC club shortly!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Hi Matt,

There are not many of the 440's out there. Mine has the 351, so I have no real input on the 440.

Regarding the transmission, is it the powerslot (1.5:1) or the 1:1 drive.

Have any photos?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
Or, you could look at this 84 in boats for sale!!

THREAD TOOLS SEARCH THIS THREAD RATE THREAD DISPLAY MODES
* #1 * *
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
liledgy
TT Enthusiast
1984 Mastercraft stars and stripes
$6000
1984 Mastercraft stars and stripes, 840 hours, fiberglass is in exceptional condition with no chips, blisters, fading or gouges. Interior is in good condition with no rips or tears in seats. Boat Starts, runs, steers and accelerates as it should. Trailer is in great condition, new bunks and carpet, bearing buddies etc. Search 1984 Mastercraft on YouTube for videos of boat running in water.

Last edited by liledgy; 01-12-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

ski king- It has the velvet drive trans, so I'm assuming it is the 1:1 you are referring to. The owner said it was 1:23 or something like that though? I've heard the power slot is a little stronger and better. I can attach some pictures later on tonight.

liledgy - I saw your boat on youtube actually. Looks good!

Typically, what do similar models go for? I don't want to get raped on the price due to being uneducated. The boat may, or may not, have 1300 actual hours. The previous owner ran the power for the radio off the hour meter so any time the ignition was keyed the hour meter ran. I'm a little uneasy about the hours and the overall reliability of the big block.

Will a big block drive hook up to a small block and vice versa?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Matt;
A 440 in an 84 is rare. It may of been used as a ski team boat (maybe). Don't know, but there was not alot of other reasons for getting big blocks back in 84.
Since there is not alot of BB powered boats of that vintage, not alot of problems (engine wise) has been documented. The hull will be subject to the same sorts of problems as the small blocks.

I would suggest that the biggest detriment to a 440 is going to be gas consumption. You had better sock away some extra cash to feed this thing. I know the small blocks are not what one would consider to be economical to operate, but the big block will consume alot more fuel than you think.

Lastly, the boat is worth what you are willing to pay. Do more searching to compare and you will be able to determine how much you are willing to spend.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks EricB - the guy that owns it now is the second owner of the boat. He bought it from a family that lived on a small lake with 4 sons that skied every day.

I'm not too worried about the gas to be honest. It can't be that much worse then a small block anyways, and i wont be running it everyday.

I've been searching for prices but some are so far off from each other its hard to really gauge what these are going for.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Reliability???It is an 1984 and is still running...any other questions!!!

A total overhaul on the bullet proof tranny is $850-$1200 depending on what it needs

You have a 440 SUPERSLOT...sometimes called the BAREFOOTER. You probably have a 1.5 to 1 tranny not a 1:23 to 1. I can be verified by the brass ID on the tranny itself

Jim@BAWS

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
Reliability???It is an 1984 and is still running...any other questions!!!

A total overhaul on the bullet proof tranny is $850-$1200 depending on what it needs

You have a 440 SUPERSLOT...sometimes called the BAREFOOTER. You probably have a 1.5 to 1 tranny not a 1:23 to 1. I can be verified by the brass ID on the tranny itself

Jim@BAWS
Thanks Jim! I need to uploads some pictures of this thing. From what I've read on this forum and just across the internet it seems like ~$5000-5500 is the going rate for an SS in pretty good shape. Does that sound about right?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
MUST SEE PICS OF THIS BEAST!!!!

I agree with Jim it most likely has the powerslot option making it a Superslot. I love how big the motor box cover is on these boats!

With out seeing it and just your description I would guess around 6-7500 wouldnt be unreasonable. Trailer? Cover? Extras?

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Comes with a trailer with brand new tires, brand new cover, and a freshly teaked swim platform.

I'll attach a link with some pictures shortly.