Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 prostar 205v
Budget HLCD's

I've posted a few times about my new to me Prostar 205v. So far I've ordered a new dimension tower and a new cover set up to work with the tower. I was thinking about wet sounds or the Kicker 6500.2 HLCD's but want to add a decent ballast set up so I was gonna put off the tower speakers or try to find something more economical. Both systems are in the $900-$1000 range. This morning I found a site called Hifisoundconnection.com that had the kickers for $292.00 shipped. They are refurbished but that doesn't bother me. I already pulled the trigger so i hope they work out. I think I'm gonna buy a set of cans loaded with some decent 6.5 coax's and put the hlcds in the new cans and use the coax speakers to replace the clarions in the boat. I have to either have 4 cans or two doubles because the kicker set up uses two 6.5 mids with two separate 6.5 horns instead of stacking them like wet sounds and some of the others. I like the look of 4 cans but I don't like the cost of two sets of wet sounds so this seems like a good fit. One of these days I'll figure out how to post a pic.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
dude your my hero. I was gonna order the kickers yesterday and posted about deals. Hopefully you just saved me a few hundred bucks! I buy almost everything refurb so no problemswith that either. Check out a double can setup too. I have the aerial double cans and will be popping these in
Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
I have the aerial double cans and will be popping these in
do you have the bullet shaped ones? If so I do too and was wondering if they would fit that long kicker horn tweeter with the crossover mounted to the back. I doubt the overall depth will be a problem but am concerned about the diameter of the crossover being set that far back.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM
TT Regular

I have the older barrel style not the bullets. I'm alil concerned about it but we shall see. The mounting depth on the kickers is alil over 7" for the horns. I would think they would clear but I just snapped these up without measuring. For the price I'll go buy another set of cans if they don't work lol. Jeff if I were you I would call up aerial to check the depth since they dont have it listed online. If you do ask about the barrels too lol so I can stop thinking about it today
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
MC Devotee

Any ideas on how these would perform with only 70 watts RMS each? An additional amp wouldn't really be in the budget right now. These speakers actually aren't really in the budget to begin with. Ha! I suppose I could pull my in boat speakers off of the amp, run them off the head unit (18 watts RMS), then give these 200 watts RMS a piece.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
TT Regular

I think these are 150w rms. Underpowering speakers=best way to blow them. At that power you are kind of wasting the investment. Check the same site for amps but pretty sure you can find something somewhat cheap to run them and then sell the old amp. I mostly sell the things Im replacing then get new stuff to partially fund it
Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 PM
MC Devotee

I'd probably just run them off of my 5 channel amp, giving them 200 watts RMS a piece. Then I'd move my 4 cabin speakers back to the JVC head unit until I could justify another $200 or so for an amp to power them.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
TT Regular

I'm right there with you on the budget deal. I just bought a boat that I didn't really need because it was too goo of a deal to pass up. Now I've dropped 2 grand on a tower and am looking at another 2 G's minimum to finish out the tunes and ballast. I want to do it cheap but i want to do it right. It already has a 400 watt memphis amp that im gonna re-purpose for my hlcd's. Just need cans at this point. I have seen a few sets of aerial doubles loaded with kicker coax's go on ebay in the 200 range which i probably should have picked up but i think maybe id rather have seperates because i want to get some of those neoprene covers for storage. To top it all off my wife has no clue what I'm up to. At this point I've only mentioned hearing about a good deal on a boat. So far the UPS guy has been discreet with his delivery placements and I am still flying below the radar.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
TT Regular

LOL you are so screwed when she finds out you bought a boat. I went and "looked" at my boat with my now ex long term live in g/f. She was unamused with the boat and pitched a fit about it. The boat is still here........she is not but divorce isnt cheap lol and that boat is now half hers
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM
TT Regular

I'm a general contractor and I'm rehabbing a complex for the guy I bought the boat from so I'll probably call it a trade. She will never know that it didn't already have a tower, ballast and a bad *** stereo. I'm probably still screwed but she'll get past it. You know it's not for me .... It's really for her and the kids! They deserve it! I'm just hoping to learn how to surf behind their boat.