Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Xstar
Hard tanks or No Hard tanks

Wanna see what yall think. I have an 04 Xstarand I plumbed in the extra two fat sacs to overflow from the center tank. Now the BIG question (ive heard alot of both) Should I put (2) 750s to overflow out of the existing hardtanks or simply cut out the hard tanks altogether??? I wanted to ask yall as it would save me some time but I want a killer wake!!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I don't use the hard tanks in the rear anymore on mine. I currently have 2 400's in the rear lockers, but this year I am going with the rear X-star sacs (made for the x-star from wakemakers) that are 720's.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Are the hard tanks above or below the floor? If below I'd just keep using them with added sacks. If above then I'd remove them and go with bigger sacks.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
I removed my hard tanks...its was easy and installed 2 1000lbs flyhigh bags. Here are a few install pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Oh I have an 2007 X15. There are a number of things I did that I recommend. I reoriented both of rear my pumped so that the impellers are at the bottom of pump assembly. You will have to add some length to one of the lines...I replaced one with longer length and used one of the longer stock lines from the oem lines. This is what all of the later model had done to them to avoid water getting into the electrical side of the pumps. One pic show them still upright but they are no longer.

I also rised both of the fuel filler hose higher up on their walls to make more room for a full bag when we surf. You might have a more than enough room with the 750's.

Last edited by ZachDaddy; 02-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Tanks are under floor. Ive heard alot of issues with draining so I was leaning towards just disconnecting the hardtanks and letting the pumps fill the fly high sacs only for the back. I was planning this unless someone says that th hard tanks and the fat sacs will dramaticlly improve the wake. Although I have read alot on here that says it will not create much of a difference. Just wanted to get better opinions for the best Xstar setup
Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeml View Post
Tanks are under floor. Ive heard alot of issues with draining so I was leaning towards just disconnecting the hardtanks and letting the pumps fill the fly high sacs only for the back. I was planning this unless someone says that th hard tanks and the fat sacs will dramaticlly improve the wake. Although I have read alot on here that says it will not create much of a difference. Just wanted to get better opinions for the best Xstar setup
We do not use the built in tanks in the back of our PF X-star. We re-routed the ballast hose directly to bags on the tanks. Better wake shape with less overall weight and easier to use. I can not tell a difference between FH bags only and FH bags plus the tanks. But then again, we are only running about 2500lbs total ballast in ours.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

@vision- I want to do exactly that if the wake is awesome. I have (2) 750s that I would put in those rear lockers. I have (2) overflows up front off the center tank. do you think this will be sweet? I figured Id have a better weight ratio overall, save a lil gas do to less weight and zero empting problems in the rear. I guess Im talking yself into it more and more. But thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
We do not use the built in tanks in the back of our PF X-star. We re-routed the ballast hose directly to bags on the tanks. Better wake shape with less overall weight and easier to use. I can not tell a difference between FH bags only and FH bags plus the tanks. But then again, we are only running about 2500lbs total ballast in ours.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I don't use the hard tanks in the rear anymore on mine. I currently have 2 400's in the rear lockers, but this year I am going with the rear X-star sacs (made for the x-star from wakemakers) that are 720's.

when do you plan on getting rid of what you have now?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
when do you plan on getting rid of what you have now?
PM sent to you