Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar, Indmar 351
Question Rudder Stuffing Box Advise

Alright gang, I'm in the middle of my winter renovation of my 93 Prostar 190. Have replaced the carpeting and was in the process of greasing all the steering components. Tried to pump grease into the rudder stuffing box with zero results....cant pump any grease into it...has anyone had similar experience? Hate to pull the stuffing box, but!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I would drop the rudder out and clean everything up. With the rudder out, you can use a rag with some solvent to clean the box and the grease grooves that are in it. After you get it all cleaned up, pump some grease through the zerk to make sure it is flowing and then put the rudder back in.

If you don't want to drop the rudder, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth, lock to lock, while you try to pump the grease.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
There should be a weep hole in the rudder box below the hull. When you pump in grease up above, this is where it's supposed to come out. With time and lack of maintenance, this will plug up and you'll have the problem you're having - mine is the same way at the moment, but I haven't had time to attack it.

As TR says, drop the rudder, clean and grease, then put it back together. The rudder is heavy, so put a floor jack or something under it to hold it when you unbolt from above.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar, Indmar 351
Hey guys, thanks alot. I had no idea there were grooves up in the box, makes sense that things would back up. Dropping the rudder seems like a nice rainy Saturday project! Thanks for the tip on chocking the rudder.
Took the carb to a speed shop today for an overhaul....come on spring!
Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Hey guys, thanks alot. I had no idea there were grooves up in the box, makes sense that things would back up. Dropping the rudder seems like a nice rainy Saturday project! Thanks for the tip on chocking the rudder.
Took the carb to a speed shop today for an overhaul....come on spring!
There are spiral grooves and, if I recall correctly, two O-rings. Once you get it cleaned up, it will take the grease pretty easily.

You might have an issue with the trailer being in the way of dropping the rudder. Just be ready to either raise the boat or slide it rearwards on the trailer.