Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X1
Stereo upgrade X1

--Thanks in advance, I know this stuff has been covered before and I've tried to read other posts.

Upgrading my stereo in my 2006 X1. In the fall I put in the Clarion CMD6 with new remote mostly for the iPod integration. I also added an amp and sub that I had laying around (might want to change this to the factory JL under dash. Recently I found a pair of empty MC tower speaker cans that I want to install.

I'm mostly looking for suggestions on the amp and tower speakers.

In the past I've used my stereo while driving and swimming around the boat. I'm interested in the HLCDs but not 100% sure since I've never really been around that sort of set up.

For the tower speakers I'm thinking about the factory JL speakers ($299), if so should I get the two way and ditch the attached pods?
Or should I retrofit with Bullet's ($599) or Kryps ($374).

Now the amp-
It would be nice to have just one amp to run everything. If so what would this be? A six channel?. My cheapest option would be to keep the amp I have to run the sub and add another for the tower speakers. Also, should I plan on changing the setup to run the cockpit speakers off the amp? Right now they run off the deck. What amp would you recommend for these set ups.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
are you happy with the headunit powering the in board speakers?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X1
I think the speakers powered by the head unit are OK. The JL speakers are good quality and the head should power them at 35 or 50 watts per channel which seems like it would be adequate. But maybe someone has advise like running 100w per speaker makes them sound a lot better. Don't know.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
more like 17w from that headunit rms before clipping. 100w would be much nice. 50 - 60 is nice....

Basically you could get a SYn6 style amp (Arc Audio 900.6) and run all 4 speakers off chan 1 - 4, and then run about 600 watts to either a sub, or a tower speaker such as the wetsound pro 485.