Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
CDX Monza System 8 or Triumph ... Trick Skis?

Okay, so my current ski is a 2001 CDX (I think, but cannot remember the year for sure) but it has the top that is not flat ... thinking of switching for no real great reason, just wondering if it is time for a technology upgrade ... I'm not skiing the bouys, just free skiing for the past 23 years ... my snow skis are an old pair of volkls, and with kids I doubt I will throw down the jack to buy a new fancy pair of shaped skis that I might (MIGHT) use a few times a year, however, in my own mind I could justify a new ski. Anyone switched from the CDX to one of these?

Also, never tried trick skiing, but wondering if it is fun ... I mean, is it fun like wakeboarding and surfing, or too much work to enjoy like the aforementioned.

TIA
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
Keep the CDX, get new snow skis. The CDX is still one of the Best skis ever made. If it is a 2000 or newer, you aren't going to see a benefit from a new or shaped ski. However, those old Volkl's are ancient technology. I switched from my Volkl P-20's a couple of years to some new Atomic mid-shaped skis and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe the difference. I always believed that I would never ski on anything but Volkl's, but after trying out the new technology (from Volkl and Atomic) the difference was amazing. They are so easy to turn, and versatile all over the mountain.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Agreed. Get new snow skis. I hung onto straight snow skis for a while because the "parabolic" skis were so drastic. Now, the shaped skis are ripe and make a great deal of difference. I just picked up my second pair of Rossi Bandits. Great skis!

May be selling my older Bandits 191 cm (drilled no bindings). Anybody interested?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93' Prostar 190
Send a message via Yahoo to jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PendOreilleSkier
Anyone switched from the CDX to one of these?
TIA
I just switched from the CDX to the Monza. Huge difference in the course, I'm not sure the differences are going to be as notable for free skiing. The biggest difference between the CDX and the Monza (besides the advancements in construction materials and methodology) is the rocker. The CDX has a continuous rocker, meaning the entire bottom of the ski is a gradual curve. The Monza has a 15" flat spot under the boots. This "flat forebody" allows the ski to find an edge much quicker allowing you to get cross course faster and more consistently.

Skies of older technology mostly had the continuous rocker (the O'brien Mapple is one exception I know of) to get good turning capabilities. The newer all carbon skies have very different flex and rebound characteristics that allow the ski to turn very well even without the continuous rocker. So they can have the flat rocker and you still get a ski that turns well, and has a much bigger on edge sweet spot.

Andy Mapple does a good job of explaining the benefit of the flat rocker on his slalom video. Check it out if you get a chance.

Like I said though, these benefits are going to be most noticeable in the course, less so in the open water.

The system 8 is the shaped version of the Monza...slightly wider in the tail and a slight shape to the edge.

Last edited by jake; 08-10-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
**The system 8 is the shaped version of the Monza...slightly wider in the tail and a slight shape to the edge.**

According to Eddie Roberts, the System 8 is identicle in every way to the Monza except for the core material.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93' Prostar 190
Send a message via Yahoo to jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski
**The system 8 is the shaped version of the Monza...slightly wider in the tail and a slight shape to the edge.**

According to Eddie Roberts, the System 8 is identicle in every way to the Monza except for the core material.
You're right, I just looked out at their website. My mistake.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Just got my Monza in the mail yesterday. Bindings are on the slow boat from Canada so I haven't had the chance to ride it yet.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Just got my Monza in the mail yesterday. Bindings are on the slow boat from Canada so I haven't had the chance to ride it yet.

Wow, Congrats!!!! I want to try one of those, BAD!! What bindings are on the way??

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP

What bindings are on the way??

Fluid Motion Carbon Double Six http://www.jagersport.com/doublesix.htm

Don't know what I am looking forward to the most. Ski or bindings?

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy