Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > Wanted to Buy

Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-55, 2011, 6.0L
What to buy?

Forgive me twice , i know this has been ask 1M times but its hard to get much from key word search. I am typing in a rush so spelling may not be that great.

1st i need to mention my current boat - I have a VERY nice 1992 PS 205 that i will be selling after i find a new(er) boat ~($14,900). I will be posting some pics and description soon.

I am at a loss. This is a huge investment and i keep bouncing from boat to boat and cannot make up my mind. Granted, thinking may change drastically once i start test driving a few. we love to do all watersports and are only rec level as far as any are concerned, except for surfing which i havent done yet. Love our boat now but gotta go bigger and something with a better ride after noon so the family and friends can cruise around. We are fam of 5. most friends have 2-3 kids too. Weekends are fun but usually leave half on the dock when skiing, tubing and boarding.

I am looking for an X series boat. Prefer something i can ski, board, surf, cruise in. I grew up skiing behind a I/O. Dont expect what i have now as far as flat wake, i do all my slalom before 9 or after 6ish anyway. Any decent wake to cross is probably ok with me since i am not all that anyway. I am probably a "B" as far as being a skier. Prefer a 2008 or newer.

The X15 as far as versatility and smooth ride sounds nice but for another ~10K (or get newer 15) i can get a larger boat 35 or 45. good rough water ride but cant fit quite as many folks in it as compared to 35 & 45. Fuel consumption? What engine is a must?

The X25 is nice but dont think skiing behind it is an option whatsoever? Plus, its the same price as a 35 or 45 if not more. Rough water ride would be great tho. Probably on the bottom of list for now.

X30 is nice but i am trending with pickle fork for room. This is one where if i decide pickle fork is not all that, then why not the X30 over the X15? maybe slight advantage over 15 unless someone can offer the cons of the 30 over the 15. Fuel consumption is bad? What engine is a must?

The X35 is great too, but if i go with this one why not jump to a 45? $$ is probably a wash. The 35s spectator seat on some models, or all, folds either direction for facing fwd or rear. My wife would like that i think. Dont like the fridge option so would have to find one without that. good rough water ride, maybe could ski? plenty of wake for us intermediate boarder/ surfers. Fuel consumption is pretty bad? What engine is a must?

The 45, very similar to the 35 aside from spectator seat and is a tad bigger. Seems to be more of a popular boat so may be easier to a good deal or colors/ options we are looking for. Fuel consumption is very bad? What engine is a must?

Any specific year to avoid with certain options? Whats the best engine by size/ year.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8/100 w/ Zero Flex Mini 2011 Black GMC Yukon XL 2011 Silver Chevy Silverado Z71 Canyon Lake, Lake Austin and Lak
If $ not a concern, a gently used x45 would be my choice.

But!, I'm not you. Prioritize your criteria. Then you can begin to narrow down the boat for you. This game is full of compromises; only you know what's most important/desired in a boat. Factor the amount of use, type of use and amount you wanna spend and take it from there. Good luck.
2005 Mastercraft Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8 of 100
Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Glad to see another Smith Lake member around here. We are in a similar situation with 3 kids and we like to bring friends along. I'm in the market as well. Since we have decided to keep our current boat, our budget is less than yours. FWIW, if I had the money, I'd probably opt for the X45 with the X30 as a 2nd choice. We're not too far from Duncan Bridge and I would think the X45 would handle the chop pretty well.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
use excel or a piece of paper - Write down everything you must have left column...... not paragraphs - next column write down the best and affordable boat to satisfy that need. next column price. then start eliminating boats... my pesrsonal favorite is a Prostar - if I had the means to pick I would go x-15. But sounds like population in boat is what I glean most important from your thoughts...If you can go big...x-45 and have a friend with a PS. I have a '95 205 - very smooth wake, I have friend with a 97 205 with tower...he turned it into an x-star (same hull as early x) but ballast is everywhere + tower, other friend has 2002 x-2 another great boat - nice room and ballast hidden away.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCraft View Post
Forgive me twice , i know this has been ask 1M times but its hard to get much from key word search. I am typing in a rush so spelling may not be that great.

1st i need to mention my current boat - I have a VERY nice 1992 PS 205 that i will be selling after i find a new(er) boat ~($14,900). I will be posting some pics and description soon.

I am at a loss. This is a huge investment and i keep bouncing from boat to boat and cannot make up my mind. Granted, thinking may change drastically once i start test driving a few. we love to do all watersports and are only rec level as far as any are concerned, except for surfing which i havent done yet. Love our boat now but gotta go bigger and something with a better ride after noon so the family and friends can cruise around. We are fam of 5. most friends have 2-3 kids too. Weekends are fun but usually leave half on the dock when skiing, tubing and boarding.

I am looking for an X series boat. Prefer something i can ski, board, surf, cruise in. I grew up skiing behind a I/O. Dont expect what i have now as far as flat wake, i do all my slalom before 9 or after 6ish anyway. Any decent wake to cross is probably ok with me since i am not all that anyway. I am probably a "B" as far as being a skier. Prefer a 2008 or newer.

The X15 as far as versatility and smooth ride sounds nice but for another ~10K (or get newer 15) i can get a larger boat 35 or 45. good rough water ride but cant fit quite as many folks in it as compared to 35 & 45. Fuel consumption? What engine is a must?

The X25 is nice but dont think skiing behind it is an option whatsoever? Plus, its the same price as a 35 or 45 if not more. Rough water ride would be great tho. Probably on the bottom of list for now.

X30 is nice but i am trending with pickle fork for room. This is one where if i decide pickle fork is not all that, then why not the X30 over the X15? maybe slight advantage over 15 unless someone can offer the cons of the 30 over the 15. Fuel consumption is bad? What engine is a must?

The X35 is great too, but if i go with this one why not jump to a 45? $$ is probably a wash. The 35s spectator seat on some models, or all, folds either direction for facing fwd or rear. My wife would like that i think. Dont like the fridge option so would have to find one without that. good rough water ride, maybe could ski? plenty of wake for us intermediate boarder/ surfers. Fuel consumption is pretty bad? What engine is a must?

The 45, very similar to the 35 aside from spectator seat and is a tad bigger. Seems to be more of a popular boat so may be easier to a good deal or colors/ options we are looking for. Fuel consumption is very bad? What engine is a must?

Any specific year to avoid with certain options? Whats the best engine by size/ year.

Thanks for any advice!
X14V, X2, and X15 are the best choices as far as highly versitile cross over boats that have the ability to ski well, and take a number of people out with you. If ruff chop is a concern and you like the X-25 you may want to look at a CSX 220.

The CSX is a direct drive and the x-25 hull was derived from the CSX hull, which for a recreational skier has a wake that is skiable if you are looking for something to cut around behind. If you look you can also find some very good deals on the CSX.

X-35 would not be any fun to ski behind at all and is actually far bigger than an x-45 by volume.

The X-45 is a good all around boat for being so large, and they are quite popular so finding one with options you like shouldn't be hard.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM
TT Regular

Put a deposit down today. Between a X-55 and X-35. Wife did not like 45 (grrr!). Its all up to her test drive next week. I have listed our 1992 PS 205 on here in the classifieds. Also have a very sharp 2009 F250 SD Lariat Crew cab w/ 6.4L diesel for sale. I have pictures to send if interested. Been asking 41,900 but will take 40K firm! NO clue how we threw the 55 in the equation!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Can't see slalom skiing behind a 55 but you are all over the place
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Wife has great taste however you might just as well hang up the slalom ski and look into wakeboarding, btw dont show your wife the X80
Attached Images

Last edited by snork; 02-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

all over the place - yes! Nervous wreck trying to decide. boiled down to pickle fork for room. Really wanted 45 but wife likes 35 & 55. finally talked her into it so giving no reason to back out. none of those 3 are really ski boats. guess will cruise, board and surf, find a friend with a ski boat for early morning sets and return the favor for boarding in rough water afternoons.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
My advice...is if you're not sure than the boats you have picked are wrong...and you won't be happy over the long run. I got a PS 205 because I wanted a Ski boat with some space. My son and friends can throw inversion tricks on boat with just a little ballast.

be sure when you pull the trigger...remember it's not an investment...it's fun...and that is priceless.