Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200, 2006, MCX 350
Smile Wanted-Mastercraft/Malibu/Supra 21-23 V-Drive Under $40k

I am back in WI and in the market for another boat. I have owned MC, Malibu & CC but it has been awhile since looking so I am not familiar with all the differences between the boat. Ideally I am looking for:

21-23' boat
V-Drive
Perfect Pass
Under 250 hours
Under $40k

We mainly ski but our kids 8,5,2 might want to get into wakesurfing/boarding in the future. I started to look for a Maristar or Sunscape without the tower but 90% of boats have the tower on them now. I am not opposed to the tower however it must EASILY go up and down as we have a low bridge we need to go under 2x per day. Also, I am 6'0" tall and I don't want to have to duck walking under it. Any advice or boats for sale would be appreciated. If there are any specific models you recommend with the tower that fits my criteria let me know as well. Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
'04 X-star...and I am sure you can take them down..

http://www.actionwater.com/boats/preowned-boats/

good people...

email dirkd@pinelaikeskischool.com they are part of action sports...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 PM
TT Regular

Thanks, when working with dealers, what is the typicaly movement in price from the asking price? Also, what is the best reference to know what to pay. NADA seems off to me.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
http://www.mastercraft.com/market/sh...uct=4275&cat=6

X-1 is one of the best all-around hulls for skiing, boarding, surfing. This one has very low hours on it too. My buddy had the same boat, it was great for all of the above.
The tower is a must if your kids will get into wakeboarding someday, plus it's great to keep boards and skis up out of the way.

You could also look for a Maristar 210 or 230 (X-10 or X-30) but the slalom ski wake will be larger although still good for recreational skiing. Tons of room/storage in these boats as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasser View Post
Thanks, when working with dealers, what is the typicaly movement in price from the asking price? Also, what is the best reference to know what to pay. NADA seems off to me.
Look at comparable boats for sale. Check http://www.onlyinboards.com/ and boattrader.com

Sometimes dealers won't haggle much on used boats if they are priced right to start with....the used boat market seems pretty strong right now.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Forget NADA on the boat prices...I have a '95 and I have seen some sell for $15 - NADA shows about half. Prices on used appear to be rising... The folks at Action Sports are good people and I know Dirk from the ski school.

The typical movement would probably be based on if you can write a check on the spot. I paid $10K for my 95 in 2010 and as mentioned above the prices are up. On a another thread there was a discussion about it...New boats have increased in price and sales are way down... which is pulling used prices up. Dealers make much more money on used so more room to negotiate.

Good Luck...and be patient...
Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
You want an x1 or x15 if you are looking for a mc to do what you describe.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 AM
TT Regular

what are the main differences between the x1 and x15, the both seem to be about the same size. I am sure the hull is different or something, just a newbie on the x_series. Also, any particular tower I should avoid or look for that is easy up down and won't bump our head walking under. Another question, some have the pickle front front end, is the ride different in these boat and what is the overall consensus as if that design is good or not? Thanks for all the info, I appreciate the guidance.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
TT Hero

Quote:
what are the main differences between the x1 and x15, the both seem to be about the same size. I am sure the hull is different or something, just a newbie on the x_series. Also, any particular tower I should avoid or look for that is easy up down and won't bump our head walking under. Another question, some have the pickle front front end, is the ride different in these boat and what is the overall consensus as if that design is good or not? Thanks for all the info, I appreciate the guidance.
They are not the same size at all. The X-15 is a foot longer than the X-1, has a wider beam and more freeboard too. Interior is much larger with more storage, has a great surf wake and really good wakeboard wake. Actually the X-15 excells at everything over the X-1 except for slalom wake.......and price. I doubt you will find an X-15 in your price range.
The towers on either of these boats should be pretty easy to fold down, and have enough clearance so you won't need to duck. Tower speakers will reduce your head clearance however.

Models with a pickle fork bow are the '03-newer X-star, X-25, X-35, X-45, X-80 and most if not all of these are well over $40K used. That style bow has nothing to do with the ride because they are still a mono-hull design, not a tri-hull like the boats in the 70's and 80's. A deeper V or sharper keel will give a better ride than a flatter hull (like a prostar)
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the info Jersey Dave. We went to the local Malibu dealership yesterday and checked out what they had as well as the axis models. Didn't like the axis at all and they didn't have any used models so it is hard to know what to look for and watch out so you can narrow it down before driving several hours to look at one. We are planning a trip to Michigan the 2nd week of Feb just visit several dealerships that have ones that llok like they will meet what we are looking for. Trying to buy one before spring. Thanks again.