Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-09-2005, 10:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
Stars and Stripes

My glitter stripe on my 79 stars and stripes is pretty oxidized, it has a dull white finish, until it is wet. What can I do, besides stripping it and repainting/gelcoating, to give it that wet look when dry (polish, wax, etc.) I have heard of poliglow for old gel coats but I don't know if that would be to harsh the glitter feels exposed. I have removed the stars and the MC emblem, should I treat the stripe before or after I add the new decals?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
I also would like to know if anyone has a good idea of how clean up the clear coat without damaging the glitter underneath.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:36 PM
MC Fanatic

ssippiriverrat-
I talked to a fiberglass/gelcoat/clearcoat guy at my local marine shop, he told me that the gelcoat has pretty much worn away and any sanding or cutting with a heavy compound would pull the glitter stripe off, he said he would shoot the boat with a gel coat for $600, clear coat for $4000, but he did give some do it yourself advice, he said steer clear of wet sanding, instead use a good orbital buffer with a two sided cotton pad (so it won't cut into the paint) and 3M Marine High Gloss Gelcoat Compound. After applying the compound buff out with the cotton pad and buffer then add a high gloss polish over that, apply your decals after the 3M compound and before any wax or polish. If anyone has any comments they would be appreciated. Also I have made some decals by tracing the original ones and redrawing them with AutoCAD and I am trying to duplicate the American Flag banner, if you need any of these let me know.....
Old 08-10-2005, 05:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Be sure to post some pics of the process if you choose to do it....
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsoncd
ssippiriverrat-
I talked to a fiberglass/gelcoat/clearcoat guy at my local marine shop, he told me that the gelcoat has pretty much worn away and any sanding or cutting with a heavy compound would pull the glitter stripe off, he said he would shoot the boat with a gel coat for $600, clear coat for $4000, but he did give some do it yourself advice, he said steer clear of wet sanding, instead use a good orbital buffer with a two sided cotton pad (so it won't cut into the paint) and 3M Marine High Gloss Gelcoat Compound. After applying the compound buff out with the cotton pad and buffer then add a high gloss polish over that, apply your decals after the 3M compound and before any wax or polish. If anyone has any comments they would be appreciated. Also I have made some decals by tracing the original ones and redrawing them with AutoCAD and I am trying to duplicate the American Flag banner, if you need any of these let me know.....
Thanks alot richardsoncd, I just got my decals in today and am pumped to put them on. I think I am going to try a couple of things to clean up the clear coat--I don't think my clear coat is completely gone but it may need some elbow grease Let me know about the American Flag and how it turns out, that was the one decal I didn't get--mine is a little faded but not bad.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM
MC Fanatic

I am going to do a couple of designs, one custom, one as close as original as possible, I'll post one you one you can bring to a sign shop and have made. The 3M high gloss gelcoat compound is supposed to work great on existing gelcoats as well, especially after a good wet sand (by hand)
Old 08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Scot

Check out these products.... I posted on appearance but got no response.... The web site has actual step by step process movie on line.... I've never used them.... But it looks worth a shot to me....
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
Check out these products.... I posted on appearance but got no response.... The web site has actual step by step process movie on line.... I've never used them.... But it looks worth a shot to me....
might help if I provide the link.....
http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/
Old 08-12-2005, 12:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft Stars & Stripes
Has anyone used the Island Girl products? My '79 S&S is also in need of some exterior brightening.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Even with a good product, nothing compares to elbow grease
#1 supporter of wadka