Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
F-150 eco-boost....any owner reviews?

I've heard good things about these trucks, just wanted to get some real-owner opinions.

Any problems, complaints, recalls, service bulletins, etc.?

What's your fuel economy (solo and towing)?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I donít have an answer but am interested too... i guess everyone that pulls a trailer is a bit interested. However, I will not be dipping into the Ford technology well anytime soon. The last wave of ford truck technology took some time before people realized how bad it sucked. Specifically the 5.4 liter with the variable valve timing. The cam phasers and solenoid valves are all trouble. They say they sorted it out in the later model years, but my '06 still sounds like crap at idle. It sounds like the lifters are constantly in need of adjustment. Also if the oil gets dirty, the solenoids donít like it very well and that adjusts the timing so it runs like junk until you change the oil. I donít even want to talk about the $800 spark plug changes or the trannys that need replaced because of the OD issues.

Remember the days when we had iron blocks, iron heads and strong transmissions? The truck drove for ever. It may have look terrible, but it still ran. Now the bodies look great and the engines and transmissions need so much work you can hardly afford to keep them...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
I donít have an answer but am interested too... i guess everyone that pulls a trailer is a bit interested. However, I will not be dipping into the Ford technology well anytime soon. The last wave of ford truck technology took some time before people realized how bad it sucked. Specifically the 5.4 liter with the variable valve timing. The cam phasers and solenoid valves are all trouble. They say they sorted it out in the later model years, but my '06 still sounds like crap at idle. It sounds like the lifters are constantly in need of adjustment. Also if the oil gets dirty, the solenoids donít like it very well and that adjusts the timing so it runs like junk until you change the oil. I donít even want to talk about the $800 spark plug changes or the trannys that need replaced because of the OD issues.

Remember the days when we had iron blocks, iron heads and strong transmissions? The truck drove for ever. It may have look terrible, but it still ran. Now the bodies look great and the engines and transmissions need so much work you can hardly afford to keep them...
The VCT issues with the 5.4 are almost always directly related to poor maintenance and/or aftermarket oil filters. not saying we dont still have some issues with well maintained trucks but not many.

that said, the ecoboost has been great for my customers so far. enough so that i'm ordering a new one for myself in the spring.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I've heard good things about these trucks, just wanted to get some real-owner opinions.

I bought my wife one back in Nov. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44825

I haven't towed anything with it yet. It doesn't feel short of power at all.

It runs and gets better mileage than my brother's new 5.3L Chevrolet with the active fuel management.

She is getting about 17mpg driving to and from Dallas everyday in traffic.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post

Have a '11 F150 FX4 with the EcoBoost. Absolutely love it. Fuel economy on highway averaging around 75mph I was able to get 19-21, and I only have 600 miles on it so it may improve slightly as it gets broken in. Have not hauled MC yet on highway, just around a few blocks to see how it pulls. Seems to have all the power I could ever need.

This is my first truck in years so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I wish I would have bought one of these years ago.

btw - Nice Platinum 35th Anniv.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 MC View Post
btw - Nice Platinum 35th Anniv.
Oh it's not mine, it's my wife's. I just get to fund the money for the payments!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197 2006 MCX
I purchased a 2011 F-150 with Ecoboost last May and have towed my PS 197 about 1200 miles with no issues of concerns. I don't need a truck very often as my boat is moored on a boat lift in a covered slip near my house so I decided to form a LLC with a friend of mine and we each own 50% of the company. Co-ownership cut my payments in half and we have had no issues sharing the truck! We plan to allocate maintenance and repair costs based on miles used. We purchased an extended warranty.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: In my mind ... a 190 or 197! In my garage ... Sanger V215
Here's a couple of threads from similar questions, thoughts, and opinions on another few forums ...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790129

within the above thread there is a link to this thread from the EcoBoost forum ...

http://fordecoboostforum.com/index.p...oost-problems/

I'm still hoping to pick one up this coming spring, however am asking as many owners as possible and reading as much as possible due to the concerns on the EcoBoost forum.

Hope that helps ...
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post

2001 5.4L Expedition here with 110K miles. Other than the periodic ignition coil failure and a vacuum leak, it has run like a champ. Knocking wood.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
2001 5.4L Expedition here with 110K miles. Other than the periodic ignition coil failure and a vacuum leak, it has run like a champ. Knocking wood.
different 5.4 than the one he's talking about. you are correct on yours, relatively problem free engines. completely nutless but fairly reliable, cant wait to upgrade from my 02 to the ecoboost.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy