Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-17-2015, 05:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: P190 2003, Vortec predator 310hp
Fuel/electrical issue

Guys, I need your help desperately. I did check other subjects, but can't find an issue that is similar to mine...

Our 2003 model Prostar 190 has the 310hp Indmar Predator TBI engine that will not start all of a sudden. What I've figured out so far is that somehow no fuel is injected during the start. Typically, I do messure 29PSI on the fuel-line when I turn the key and when attempting to start I did measure a pulse of 3ms towards the injectors. And when I jack the wires to the injectors, the injectors do release gasoline.

However, when attempting to start, the injectors remain dry. I'm most certain it is an electrical issue, but I don't know where to look. I did replace the "hall-sensor" but that didn't work and now I'm hesitant for replacing anymore sensors without having a clue what to look for. Besides, US-parts are quite expensive on this side of the pond(EU)...

My guess is that the voltage on the injectors is not sufficient to have them work properly. But how do I determine if this is correct? And if my assumption is correct, which part is responsible for delivering the correct voltage to the injectors?

Appreciate the help
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 190 - 2004 - MCX
Did you try to short cut the Kill-Switch?

With the MCX the lanyard is killing the fuelpump, dunno for the TBI. Perhaps the lanyard is killing the injector?
Old 07-20-2015, 11:25 AM
TT Newbie

Sorry Gert, should have mentioned it in the initial post. First thing I tried was bypassing the lanyard.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197
CRANK POSITION SENSOR - if it's bad, it will cut the power to the injectors and spark plugs, but not the pump. sounds like a bad crank position sensor since your lanyard didn't fix it and your pump is working OK.

Check to see if you have spark just to make sure. No spark, I think it is safe to say you need a new crank position sensor.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 190 - 2004 - MCX
Hmm, crank sensor, sounds reasonable. You did not mention if there is a spark at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
And if my assumption is correct, which part is responsible for delivering the correct voltage to the injectors?
Normally, the injector(s) is driven by the ECU. Can your ECU be checked for fault codes?

Most ECU's = no spark => no fuel.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
vortec predator TBI - should be getting 12v to injectors.. you can test by disconnecting and appying 12 volts to injectors to see if they fire.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
vortec predator TBI - should be getting 12v to injectors.. you can test by disconnecting and appying 12 volts to injectors to see if they fire.
I think he said he was getting no power at all to all of the injectors? That and the fact that fuel pump is working is what sold me on the crank position sensor. If OP has no spark either, nail in the coffin!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Hmm, crank sensor, sounds reasonable. You did not mention if there is a spark at all.

Most ECU's = no spark => no fuel.
Good call, that's not rocket science, not sure why it got past me.

OP, replace that crank position sensor and get back on the water!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM
TT Newbie

@Gert: I had the ECU checked on errors, none at the moment the mechanic was here. But it is like visiting the dentist, as soon as you walk in the pain is gone. When the mechanic was here, the engine started...That was also the last time it started

@mikeg205: The injectors work like a charm, already tried that.

I will check for the spark t'row morning, if it aint there I will buy a new sensor and revert back ASAP.

Thx so far guys
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
@mikeg205: The injectors work like a charm, already tried that.
hooked straight into the batt and not thru ECU correct?