Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
TT Newbie

1996 Prostar 190 - brain dead

We have a 1996 Prostar 190 which is under repair at the only MC dealer in Ireland. He is telling us that the boat needs a new 'brain' and that a replacement will cost 900 (approx $1500). We are trying to sell the boat and he is a potential buyer, so we would like to know 1) How can we confirm that the brain is indeed; 2) What is the cost of a replacement brain in the US? Any help appreciated.

Joe M
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-7
I understand the ECM (Engine control module) puts out codes that can be read by a plug in diagnostic tool. Certain codes (or lack of) tell a trained technician where the problem is or if the ECM is the problem. I had on go out under warranty, but I think it was going to be $1000+ to replace it if warranty would not have covered it.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:22 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've heard of them going out before. In the past, JimN has been able to field this question with great success. Is there any other dealer (not necessarily MC/not necessarily a boat dealer), just someone not trying to buy your boat, from whom you could get a second opinion.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
Mine was $1000 from the MC dealer. It was a case of "only thing left to change was the ECM". That fixed it. I went from a MEFI-1 to a MEFI-2 ECM, and even at that price, it was a remanufactured unit. No new units available.

Rob

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (previous boat)
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison 6 speed

War Eagle
Old 08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the information. This has been very helpful. The price of the ECM that we were offered does not seem out of the ballpark, given that everything in Europe is a lot more expensive than in the US. I wish I could identify someone to test the unit. However, our mechanic, who is a MC expert, does not know anyone else in Ireland and the next place to look would be over in England. That alone would cost more than the unit! Thanks again for your help.