Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
Just from reading other stringer threads, most of the people try to save as much of the stringer as they can when removing t to use as a template. Not sure if the mastercraft stringers were perfectly square like a 2x. Correct crafts were tapered to te hull. Some of the rebuilds eliminated the foam to prevent it from soaking the stringers again if the glass is ever compromised. Now would be a good time to retro fit your platform bolts/lags. Maybe put removable brackets on.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishart View Post
Mondays progress:

Finally got all the floor and foam removed from the hull today. Found another section of the stringer that is completly rotted through, and the stringers were quite damp under the seemingly good looking fiberglass laminate.

Something else I discovered....At first glance, the foam looked "dry". I had my suspcions, that it the area was indeed dry, so I tore out some of the foam down to the hull, and decovered that it was quite wet between the foam and hull. At this point, I decided to remove all the foam to dry the area out!
At this point, the decision has been made to do it right and replace the stringgers. i don't think it is going to be that tough at this point....now that everything has been removed.
Went to the local lumber yard and picked up (2) 2x8x20 Duglas Fir beams for new stringers. Picked the straightest ones i could. Pretty straight...one better than the other...What do you think...run them over a "jointer" to make the top edge perfectly straight? Bottom edge will be cut anyway to match the contour of the boat.
Started to modify trailer today so the boat will fit properly today also.
All of these old boats have saturated or soaked foam if they have been in the water... I have drained several when replacing platform braces.

Jeremy79 did a 79 hull from the bare hull out. His thread is here somewhere (unless the smart people lost it) and Jeremy stripped out everything, replacing the entire stringer(s). His challenge was fitting the board to the hull but he took his time and hand cut it to fit right to the surface and then epoxied it to the hull (both stringers). He also honed the top edge before it went in (as suggested). Then he put in reinforcment for the engine mounts as is done in the 83 - 85 models. From there the rest is easy. No need for foam to be placed back into the under-floor area. Coat the entire stringer(s) in epoxy resin and fiber cloth if you so choose. Anything along those lines to waterproof it after it dries in place. The epoxy will serve well for placing the stringers. I would also put a cross brace between the stringers just under where the passenger seat is located, however the pylon mounting brace will serve as the same purpose.

As suggested, install the platform mounting brackets with thru-bolts instead of the lag screws. Once you button up this repair, you should have very little water anywhere except in the center hull (typically where a packing leaks a little, etc). Seal the deck to the hull with new rivets and silicone sealant.

Also no better time to replace all of the thru-hull fittings (rudder, shaft log, etc.) and remove and re-seal the tracking fins as well. Obviously, you're at the point of an entire rebuild so take advantage of the ease of access to all of the repair or replace points.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 02-08-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 stars and stripes
Thanks for the tips...going to attempt to remove at least one stringer tomorrow. I am interested to see how hard it is going to be to remove the bonding between the bottom of the stringer and hull.

Ordered a 6gallon "kit" of epoxy/hardener and fiberglass cloth in 4" and 12" from Aeromarine today. I have no idea how much material this job is going to take, but there is some surface area involved coating both sides of the new decking.

What do you think....just use the epoxy/hardener to coat the new decking, or also encorporate a layer of cloth material over the entire top of the new plywood surface. The origional plywood almost looks like it has a slight fiberous texture to it rather than just being coated with the resin. I know when building some boats (especially hot boats like Sangers), they used something called a "chop gun" that actually sprayed the fiberous material onto the surface they were coating. Maybe a method like this was used to cover the origional decking. From what I have seen from other floor rebuilds on the site, it appears that just coating your deck and sides with the resins is sufficient enough.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Another thing I read was to make sure the moisture content is below 10%? 7% is better. It could of been .7%, not 7.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 SS, 1991 PS190
Good call on the Aeromarine epoxy resin. That stuff will bond well to old substrates, it is easy to work with and does not have a strong odor so you can use it indoors without extraordinary ventalation issues. I have no affilation with Aeromarine but i have used their resin on a couple of projects.

When bonding the new spars to the hull, be sure and clean the old glass as best you can to get the oils off of it, then rough it up with 40-60 grit sandpaper before you lay the glass cloth and resin over the stringers and onto the hull. Clean it up before you start sanding because you can easily transfer the oils and dirt into your bond line during the sanding process. Apply a generous coat of resin to all surfaces of your new plywwod deck and let it cure a day or so before you install it in the boat. This will seal the wood and provide for good adhesion with the spars. After you get the deck installed, lay up two plies of fiberglass cloth over the deck going up the sides of the boat and down the inboard sides of the stringers 3 -4 inches. Enjoy
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

The moisture content I was referring to the Douglas fir.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I did complete stringer and floor replacement in a Supra; so I know about where your at. As stated, best to spoxy the stringers to the floor first; I used dura-glass. As far as how much resin/epoxy I used; roughly 4 gallons and some change. I reinforced mat at engine mounts and put mat and epoxy over the entire floor to the sides of the boat for rigidity. There is no need to replace any foam that comes out but make sure you take out all that is wet; do not leave moisture in it. As far as moisture in wood; make sure you get kiln dried wood; no matter what kind. Treated lumber has moisture in it and if you then put epoxy all around it you trap that moisture in.

If yo have more questions I will try to keep an eye out to answer. I attached a few pictures that show how once I glassed the stringers in I then laid the floor and glassed all the way down into the bilge... Some say over kill... but the boat was very strong after.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 PM
TT Regular

Your repair turned out really nice! Thanks for the tips.

Bruce: I was the one who contacted you last week about your fiberglass repairs that you had for sale (you had already sold them). I took your suggestion and bought the same materials from Aeromarine that you were selling. Thanks.

I was able to remove one of the stringers today. I am glad that I went this far for the repair! When trying to determine the extent of the stringer damage while inspecting the stringer with the floor and foam still in the boat, it didn't really look all that bad. Now that the stringer is out, and laying on the shop floor....that thing is wasted!!! Completly water logged from front to back, and a 8" section towards the front is non-existent....completly rotted!

I'm not suprised, these boats are known to have stringer issues...It is afterall a 30yr old boat! When purchasing this boat, I had my suspesions that I would get into some structual repair....and as sick as this may sound...looking forward to it!

I was suprised to see that the stringer was NOT bonded to the hull. It was held in place with a "fillet" of material along the sides and the fiberglass cloth. I cut all that loose with a die grinder/4"cutting blade, and lifted the baby out!

Ran a industrial sander over the hull to knock down the stringer area. Ready to shape new stringer, and reglass into the hull.

I have noticed that now that the stringer and floor has been removed the boat has become quite unstable...you can push on the side of the boat and you can tell it's a little loosey goosie! I think it might be a good idea to replace one stringer at a time!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 PM
TT Regular

today's progress pic.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Great work so far!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-