Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
You definitely need new stringers. Correct craft fan has by far the most topics on stringer replacement because of rot. You will find a wealth of knowledge. Some of the people went with douglas fir, others with a composite called coosa. I don't know which is better, but I think the resale would be much, much better when you tell the prospective buyer you have composite stringers. The posters on correct craft fan are knowledgeable, friendly and REALLY want to keep the their direct drive boats running and looking new.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I know absolutely nothing about stringers and their replacement, but it makes me wonder if it would be possible to use something like Trex or some other 'plastic' lumber. It would sure take care of the rot issue.
Thoughts?
G
Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
I know absolutely nothing about stringers and their replacement, but it makes me wonder if it would be possible to use something like Trex or some other 'plastic' lumber. It would sure take care of the rot issue.
Thoughts?
G
I don't think Trex is stiff enough to get the job done but there may well be some composite non-wood alternative. I could be the perfect answer.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
Wonderful find looks like a great project to bring back to life. I like the trailer it's killer. If you need help feel free to ask I be glad to help u out along with all are fellow MC owners. Keep us posted on you'r progress.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Thoughts?
G
Trex doesn't have much structural strength IMO. Read this thread from page 7 on to see what one member did instead of replacing the wood stringers:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=35863
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 78 - 302
I'd do some reading on stringers. Coosa is a good option is you want to go composite but it's pricey. Otherwise, CCFan has some great threads on a complete stringer job. After seeing the above picture, I'd say you need to follow the same.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 stars and stripes
stringers are comming out!

Mondays progress:

Finally got all the floor and foam removed from the hull today. Found another section of the stringer that is completly rotted through, and the stringers were quite damp under the seemingly good looking fiberglass laminate.

Something else I discovered....At first glance, the foam looked "dry". I had my suspcions, that it the area was indeed dry, so I tore out some of the foam down to the hull, and decovered that it was quite wet between the foam and hull. At this point, I decided to remove all the foam to dry the area out!

At this point, the decision has been made to do it right and replace the stringgers. i don't think it is going to be that tough at this point....now that everything has been removed.

Went to the local lumber yard and picked up (2) 2x8x20 Duglas Fir beams for new stringers. Picked the straightest ones i could. Pretty straight...one better than the other...What do you think...run them over a "jointer" to make the top edge perfectly straight? Bottom edge will be cut anyway to match the contour of the boat.

Started to modify trailer today so the boat will fit properly today also.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 78 - 302
Nice work! You'll be much happier in the long run when you know you have a completely rebuilt boat.

Have you started to order glass materials? I see you're located out west but I found it was much more cost effective to buy from US Composites...and don't be fooled, go with Epoxy.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Thank you for saving that boat.

Good to see people do things right.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Thank you for saving that boat.

Good to see people do things right.
No kidding, these older boats in my opinion are worth the labor of love. Looking forward to seeing your progress.