Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Cool boat I LOVE THAT TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck on the restore Team Talk is awesome for this.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
Based on your photos (and HIN number), I beiive your boat is an early 82.

Must be. Defiantly not a 84 or 85 with that dash. Looks like someone cut an access hole behind the passenger seat (good idea). I can't remember if my 82 came with a drink holder, my old 83 did. Ski king? The hole next to the mirror was probably added to. I also. Can't remember when they started gelcoating the bilge area. I don't think my 83 had it either. Must've been in 84
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
nice...and welcome... love the shop as well...
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
My 83 has the drink holder and gel in the bilge. Small glove box area right under the mirror, but the mirror does not fold into it. Everything else on his boat looks very similar to my 83.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 stars and stripes
Thanks for the help with this project. The old engine is all stripped down, will start building up the new engine tomorrow.

Here is a few detail shots of the trailer that came with the boat. It is a "Cooks" custom trailer. Cooks was a well known for their custom Hot Boat trailers. Based in Sacramento California. They are no longer around.

This trailer has a manufacture date of 1985, so I am assuming shortly after this boat was new, origional owner must have upgraded to this trailer. The mastercraft doesn't fit on the trailer quite right, so a few fairly easy modifications must be made.....

If anyone is wondering....I scored this boat, and trailer (remember boat had a bad engine) for $1500.00 of local craigs list.......as the old saying goes....."One man's junk....is another man's Treasure"

Stay tuned....
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Gotta love Craigslist. I traded an I/O for my '77. I only had $900 into the I/O.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishart View Post

If anyone is wondering....I scored this boat, and trailer (remember boat had a bad engine) for $1500.00 of local craigs list.......as the old saying goes....."One man's junk....is another man's Treasure"

Stay tuned....
Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 AM
TT Regular

Update: New engine done!!!

Been working the last couple weeks on finishing up the engine. Turned out pretty good. Previous owner tried to get it running by throwing a bunch of expensive parts at it...but they failed to notice that the old engine was siezed up!!! Was able to reuse the new marine mallory distributor, new marine holley carb, new marine alternator and starter, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. My buddies at K&N helped out with the new "Marine" k&N air filter...hopeing it's uscg approved...they seemed to think so...

Next part of the project....remove floors (rotted under gas tank area), and further inspect the stringers...stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 AM
TT Regular

stringer update:

Inspected stringers this week also. Look to be solid...except where the engine mounts attach with the large lag bolts!!! One side is worse than the other...Wood is pretty damp, and the boat hasn't been in the water for 2 yrs!!! Fiberglass has delaminated from the other stringer on the engine side for about 12 inches...stringer wet.

so....what next????

Replace stringers?

heard of something called "rot doctor" which I think is some sort of epoxy that you build up the rotted out areas...it hardens...then you can redrill/anchor your lag bolts back into the repaired area. (anyone use this stuff)

I don't think replacing the stringers will be very difficult...

Been researcing on the site with regards to the stringer replacement/floor replacement...lots of good information on different methods and products.

Question....how much epoxy resin do you think it is going to take for the repairs....taking into consideraton coating/sealing plywood for new floors? How much fiberglass cloth to buy??

Noticed also that there is a void of "foam" towards the back of the boat. It was damp in this area when I removed the floor. It looks like when they poured the foam in between the stringers when building the boat, it didn't flow all the way back before it started to harden. Thinking of filling this area with foam. Don't think it will harm anything.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishart View Post
Been working the last couple weeks on finishing up the engine. Turned out pretty good. Previous owner tried to get it running by throwing a bunch of expensive parts at it...but they failed to notice that the old engine was siezed up!!! Was able to reuse the new marine mallory distributor, new marine holley carb, new marine alternator and starter, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. My buddies at K&N helped out with the new "Marine" k&N air filter...hopeing it's uscg approved...they seemed to think so...

Next part of the project....remove floors (rotted under gas tank area), and further inspect the stringers...stay tuned...
Motor looks awesome. I can't tell from the pics, but it would look good to paint the letting on the side of the manifolds the same color blue, especially if it say's Mastercraft Marine on it.