Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2004, 02:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX
My '95 ps190 came w/ a '03 ps197 trailer--fit problems

The '95 I just bought came w/ the previous owners trailer to their new ps 197. The trailer is great, and is more advanced than any trailer I've seen. The only problem is that in two places the hull doesn't contact the bunks. The first place is the last 12" or so on the bottom bunks in the rear (doesn't seem that big a deal). But the other is the v-notch for the bow. With the bow eye clicked in place, the v is about an inch from the the hull. Should I space that out somehow to where it makes contact? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David
Old 08-02-2004, 08:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwe
The '95 I just bought came w/ the previous owners trailer to their new ps 197. The trailer is great, and is more advanced than any trailer I've seen. The only problem is that in two places the hull doesn't contact the bunks. The first place is the last 12" or so on the bottom bunks in the rear (doesn't seem that big a deal). But the other is the v-notch for the bow. With the bow eye clicked in place, the v is about an inch from the the hull. Should I space that out somehow to where it makes contact? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David

you need to make some major changes to that trailer PRONTO. Especially in the back. with the majority of the weight being toward the back of the boat, if there is no support there, you could do serious hull damage. the boards that touch the hull could actually cause the fiberglass to flex and cause some deformations. and as for the front, the v-stops job is to help hold the boat on the trailer. Your winch applies downward/forward pressure, and the v-stop applies upward/rearward pressure, keeping the boat from bouncing and eventually sliding off the trailer.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:47 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
H20Skeefreek, love the signature.

DWE, they made some changes to the trailers since 95, among them the addition of two bunks for a total of four. In just looking at the 95 190 versus the 01 and later 197s, no matter how many bunks, I'd estimate that the hulls are just too different to make it work without some modifications. I agree that your biggest concern is the rear of the boat since more weight (due to engine placement) will be to the center and rear.

As for the v-block, I got a little space when I went to a bow roller from a boat buddy. I just replaced the v-bunks with 3/4" plywood so it supports it properly up there now. It is my opinion that the v-block does offer some support in addition to its guide-on function, albeit minor in comparison to the main bunks. I was getting a lot of pressure on my bow roller before I adjusted my v-block.

If I were you, I'd look into a place to store your boat off that trailer pretty quick. MC has very specific guidelines for proper support. The manuals state that hull damage can occur with as little as 15 psi variance in support.

Furthermore, if it were me, I'd put that trailer on ebay and use the proceeds to buy one that was a better fit for your boat. Of course, in my case, that would be because I'm not a master welder, and even if I took it to a welding shop to get the angle iron bunk supports removed and reset, I'd need a trailer from the 95-97 era to make sure I got the bunk placement and twist just right.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 08-02-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX
I just got off the phone with mastercraft. They were actually a huge help, and answered a long list of questions I had. For the trailer, they didn't think it was that big a deal since the primary outsid bunks contact the hull their full length--he likened it to a dry storage setup. It is the two inner bunks that don't contact--for about the last 5'. He recomended I use shims to get a measure of a tight fit between the bunks and hull, and use that measurement to make some aluminum blocks to space between the bunk and trailer (have to get longer bolts). The same goes for the V. He thought the trailer would be fine if I do that. It's such a nice trailer, that I hate to give it up.

David
Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwe View Post
I just got off the phone with mastercraft. They were actually a huge help, and answered a long list of questions I had. For the trailer, they didn't think it was that big a deal since the primary outsid bunks contact the hull their full length--he likened it to a dry storage setup. It is the two inner bunks that don't contact--for about the last 5'. He recomended I use shims to get a measure of a tight fit between the bunks and hull, and use that measurement to make some aluminum blocks to space between the bunk and trailer (have to get longer bolts). The same goes for the V. He thought the trailer would be fine if I do that. It's such a nice trailer, that I hate to give it up.

David
bump ^ an old thread for those that wonder...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767