Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Anyone ever install corner strobe lights in their vehicle?

I have a 4 corner Whelen Hide-A-Way strobe light kit that I am getting ready to install on my truck and wondered if anyone had any advice...specifically, here are a few questions:
1) When drilling the 1" hole into your existing vehicle light housing to mount the strobe bulb, did you do anything special...other than using a 1" holesaw (any tricks to not screwing this up and costing myself a lot of money).

2) When running the wiring out of the cab to each corner, did you simply run the wire thru the frame or did you encase the wires in a conduit? The factory supplied wire consists of 3 wires wrapped in a poly coating.

3) Any suggestions on wiring the control switch? The instructions call for an on/off switch wired direct to the battery with a 15 amp fuse and a momentary switch that gets wired to a 12v source(likely the cigarette lighter).

Any advice or thoughts would be great. The actual kit is a Whelen CS650 if that helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Use a shop vac when drilling the holes in your light housings, this will suck up everything and keep it from dropping in to the light.

Fill the hole back in w/ the "insert" you drilled out and ample silicone to keep water out.

Run all wiring in a split loom to protect it and heat shrink all connections.

Here is one of my trucks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JOPeMZe85I
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler View Post
Use a shop vac when drilling the holes in your light housings, this will suck up everything and keep it from dropping in to the light.

Fill the hole back in w/ the "insert" you drilled out and ample silicone to keep water out.

Run all wiring in a split loom to protect it and heat shrink all connections.

Here is one of my trucks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JOPeMZe85I
I think I had a seizure watching that....how many strobes?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
There were 16 total on that truck, plus the lightbar on top which are all LED.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
What does that look like from the cab?

I plow my 600 ft and 100ft driveways, some neighbors and sometimes business lot, so certainly not a professional but do run a mini led light bar. Doesn't that get obnoxiously annoying after a while? Especially if as a pro you are pounding energy drinks all night?

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the feedback, your truck looks great and you can never have enough lights as there is always at least one person out there who will pull into a parking lot at night and nearly hit you or those blind corners where you are pushing off the side of a building thru a driving lane....AHH the joy.

OK, I am most nervous about drilling the holes so let me focus there for second. The light housing has the outer plastic shell which will be very simple to drill thru but when the holesaw reached the inner reflective housing is there any trick? Should any of the drilling be done in reverse?
I am planning on placing the rear strobes in the backup lights and the fronts in the headlights, so should the strobe bulb placement be to the inside or outside of the existing bulb?

Next, did you run your wiring thru the frame or simply put it inside the split loom and attach it to the outside?

Next, the power supply wiring calls for an on/off switch as well as a "momentary switch" to change the flash pattern. I know these boxes all have a default setting, so if I were to solely run the on/off switch, would the set-up work or does the momentary switch have to be wired in as well. (I am thinking that I will not care what the pattern is, just so long as it is flashing)

Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
What does that look like from the cab?

I plow my 600 ft and 100ft driveways, some neighbors and sometimes business lot, so certainly not a professional but do run a mini led light bar. Doesn't that get obnoxiously annoying after a while? Especially if as a pro you are pounding energy drinks all night?

Well, when you have dumbf*@%s that won't get the hell out out of the way when you are plowing, it is mandatory. I don't recall one time I plowed over breaks that someone drove right where I was and supposedly did not "see" me.

Funniest time was when I was plowing a friend's dad's business and someone had parked their car in the lot and put a big for sale sign on it. We buried that car in a huge pile of snow and the owner called the cops to report it was stolen...classic!

BTW, Eric in not plowing empty lots but alot of commercial, high traffic areas that require high visibility.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler View Post
There were 16 total on that truck, plus the lightbar on top which are all LED.
Nice set-up. Too bad it has been sitting idle this year.

Is Al Gore working the global thermostat again?

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2011, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

OK, so the job just got a little easier as I looked at the lights and the holes are already there for the bulbs (either factory designed or previous owner had a strobe kit on it).
So, here is my questions:
The bulbs are not non-LED and they came with a "thermal disc" that goes around the rubber housing for the bulb and gets mounted to the outside of the light assembly. The bulb fits the hole perfectly and is a nice tight fit without the "thermal disc" in place but if I put it on there I would have to use the 2 small screws they provide and attach the bulb to the housing. Can I simply replace the "thermal disc" with heat reflective tape and then utilize the silicone sealant to act as a glue to secure th bulb in place rather than add 2 more small holes?
Let me know what you think.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Wow. Those are noticable.